The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do you work on your supra .

Matt _Aero top_

Hi folks

Recently bought a first de-cat for the sup and was wondering how you guys go about working on your cars as i can't seem to get mine up the ramps , So i presume you guys have the same troubles .

How do you get the car up high enough to be able to work on it safely as those little 2 ton trolley jacks don't look all that safe to me nor does it really go high enough . :rolleyes:

The 2 ton jacks aren't really up to job to be honest, but they do work. MAKE sure you use a GOOD set of axle stands as well.

I'm lucky in that I'm a fairly small bloke, but even I suffer using a 2 tonner when underneath the car. I have access to a decent 3 ton which has plenty of lift.

I can't stress enough how important axle stands are...

Trolley jack onto axle stands

You can get fairly inexpensive axle stands from Halfords. Double up safety by putting small blocks of wood below the wheels too.

Iv done i think 5 or 6 first decat pipes this way - just make sure you lie on a blanket to prevent getting too cold, wear eye protection, and have something to rest your head on to prevent neck-ache in the morning :p

Oh and good luck, the 3 top nuts are a pain! Plusgas would be a good investment!

Axle stands if i'm getting under the car (eg exhaust, undertrays etc), trolley jacks if i'm not getting under the car (eg wheeels brakes etc)

Should always put something underneath in my experience, trolley jacks have a habit of slipping. If you aren't getting underneath a little trick my dad showed me, was to shove the wheel underneath the car so at least it will provide some level of safety.

Trolley jack onto axle stands

You can get fairly inexpensive axle stands from Halfords. Double up safety by putting small blocks of wood below the wheels too.

Iv done i think 5 or 6 first decat pipes this way - just make sure you lie on a blanket to prevent getting too cold, wear eye protection, and have something to rest your head on to prevent neck-ache in the morning :p

Oh and good luck, the 3 top nuts are a pain! Plusgas would be a good investment!

Rob you fancy making it 7 de-cats ..... lol

I hated having to get under my supra. I bought a set of axel stands which I can only assume were designed for a lorry - they were far too high and my standard jack wouldn't lift the car up high enough to get them under.

So I bought a trolley jack, which wouldn't fit under the skirts :rolleyes: Never mind, just lift it up a bit with the standard jack, then slip the trolley jack under....this did the job fine, I then realised that most people put blocks of wood on their axel stands to prevent possible damage. Even when I finally got the car onto the stands, they just didn't fill me with confidence.

So I tried a set of ramps I borrowed from my Dad instead - they were far too narrow for the supra's tyres.

So in short, no matter how much I spent trying to make it easy, it never was. The idea of having to do something mechanical whilst lying under a car held up purely by my initiative (which is lacking at the best of times), scared the hell out of me.

I think if I had to do it again, some nice wide ramps would be the only way I'd feel safe doing it. Oh, and some chocks for the other end of the car. :)

best way to go in my opinion, have been using axle stands and trolley jacks while working on my cars for ages and i'm always sh!tting myself when i'm under there, which makes me rush to get things finished which means i end up messing something up.

shame my dad's a short arse lol! always come out with an aching back