The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cold air box with ram air ducts

Golfpro

Just got this airbox made to keep hot engine bay heat out of the aftermarket air filter (heatsoak was driving me crazy in rush hour traffic).

It is made from Nimbus 2 heat resistant metal lined on the inside with kevlar matting. Two flexible ram air ducts the feed cold air in from the bumper through holes in the bulkhead.

Will see how it performs tomorrow.:)

IMGP0815 (Small).JPG

IMGP0816 (Small).jpg

IMGP0817 (Small).JPG

IMGP0818 (Small).JPG

Drive home tonight was a pleasure. Heat soak was pretty much eliminated.:yahoo:

I would recommend this mod for anyone using a single as a daily driver.

It dosnt cost a bomb either as the parts are less than £150 and I guess anyone with basic DIY skills and a bit of patience should be able to put it together.

Just got this airbox made to keep hot engine bay heat out of the aftermarket air filter (heatsoak was driving me crazy in rush hour traffic).

I am really surprised you get heat soak, especially as you have the stock fan and cowl. I have no sheild at all, and drove around in all traffic conditions, with a thermocouple in the mouth of the turbo cold air intake a few cm's infront of the blades. I never saw more than a few degrees higher than ambient, even with the car motionless on the drive. The stock fan just pushed al the heat to the back of the bay and under the car. I was expecting some pretty high temberatures so I got a very pleasent surprise.

I am really surprised you get heat soak, especially as you have the stock fan and cowl. I have no sheild at all, and drove around in all traffic conditions, with a thermocouple in the mouth of the turbo cold air intake a few cm's infront of the blades. I never saw more than a few degrees higher than ambient, even with the car motionless on the drive. The stock fan just pushed al the heat to the back of the bay and under the car. I was expecting some pretty high temberatures so I got a very pleasent surprise.

so when the car is motionless, what sort of temps do you get?

Have you ever put your hand between the fan and the filter? The air (that has been sucked through the hot radiator) comes off the blades of the fan sideways straight to where the filter sits.

Also hot air rises, so when the car is stationary the heat will build up and eventually fill the entire engine bay.

The best way to stop this from getting sucked straight into the filter is to make a complete box around it and duct cold air from outside.

Most single owners dont have a problem with heatsoak as they are usually going fast all the time.;)

There's a DIY how to make a cold air filter box somewhere on the web (I may have linked to it before). Cost was about £30 in materials to DIY.

Edit - This is it http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358685

His design is certainly a really nice bit of work but I would say that using solid sheet aluminium is not a DIY job!

Coming from the building trade I know how strong aluminium is. Even thin sheets are really hard to bend properly without the right workshop and tools.

The benefit of the Nimbus 2 is that it has a chequer pattern which allows it to be easily bent by hand in pretty much any direction. It is also more insulated as it is actually two sheets sandwiched together with air trapped between.

Of course you could use the Nimbus along with his pattern. His box looks a bit small though (he only has a small one -Filter that is:rolleyes:).

I would suggest making your own template out of cardboard before cutting the metal. It is really easy to do and lets you custom fit it for your particular filter.

Here are my templates. As you can see it is pretty straightforward to measure and make.

Airbox sides and bottom (Medium).jpg

Airbox Top (Large).jpg