The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aristo Died on me last night

Guest ARISTO TT

Guest ARISTO TT

okay was on motorway last night doing around 80mph and 5 miles away from home and all of a sudden car dies on me just cut off!!! got on to the hard shoulder tried starting the engine ,it started but then off again, started again with a bit of gas this time and all was ok only to find out after half a mile ,not much power and and a ta ta ta ta ta sound coming from the front ,at this point im at the slip road for the services so i piull in and park up and swith off with complete disbelief of whats going on anyway popped the the hood hoping it was some snapped fan belt or something but couldnt see anything broken so started engine again and that was it ...............constant tapping noise like valves or something ta ta ta ta ta ta noise coming from top of engine!!!!

the worst thing is ive been thinking of selling the car soon and this happens

rac came said it was top end , and put my baby on the flat bed and took me home

does that mean i need a new cylinder head ? with valves , the lot?

Guest ARISTO TT

thats what i thought coz the cams wouldnt move.unfortunatly the car does move. so basically do i need to get hold of a head for a staight swap? im thinking of the cheapest option either that or im gonna have to find abuyer for the car

Guest ARISTO TT

yeah will probabbly do that

honestly not sure what to do, as im not in a position to spend a lot of money on the the car as was thinking of selling soon but now this has happend. i,ll get it diagnosed properly then take it it from there,meanwhile also see if i can find a buyer maybe someone who has loads of engines/parts and who could put it back on the road pretty quick. Its just got me at the wrong time unfortunatley

Sounds like a cambelt at a guess...

Luckily with 2JZ engine it is non interference, so if it is the cambelt you are lucky, and probably have not bent any valves. It should just require a new cambelt, timing up and a general check over.

Is a normal Supra TT Engine a non interference Engine?:search:

Guest ARISTO TT

ok guys so i took off the cover and had a look the belt is fine , and all plugs are fine apart from one which is covered in oil and thats about it so far didnt take off the cam covers maybe tommorrow as it was getting pretty cold out there. So i think it is gonna be some broken part in the head ie valve , springs or whatever the hell else is in there ..well thats what i think for now anyway...............proper pissed off man!!

Guest ARISTO TT

smoke does come out the exhuast ,and about a week prior to this happening ,smoke would come out for a few second on start up when cold (oil burning type smoke)

Guesswork off here is all well and good but ultimately you need a professional diagnosis, irrespective of the cost. Shouldnt be more than about £50 or £60 and take it from there. Best avoid driving it for now, even if it does tick over as you could just be exacerbating the problem and causing further damage.

Good luck with it anyway, feel for you ;)

L