The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intercooler choice. Does a more expensive intercooler actually make your car "faster"

Anees

Hi guys,

With my Aristo, I plan to get to BPU and I would like an intercooler too (for both looks and performance).

I am considering the Greddy Type-LS Intercooler that is around £380- £390 delivered. It is a good quality 2 row intercooler.

Alternatively I can spend more money can get something like a Blitz intercooler (still 2 row) but this is closer to £600!

Now what are the advantage and disadvantages of getting a cheaper intercooler (all be it quality one) over a more expensive one. Basically will the extra money be worth it?

What areas of day to day driving will I regret not having spent the extra?

I don't really plan to go single at some stage, probably just BPU++

Thanks,

Anees

Are certrain intercoolers more resistant to heat soak? Is this where a 3-row is more benefical?

Both Greddy and Blitz seem to be good brand names.

Greddy Type LS

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/Trust-GReddy-Spec-LS-FMIC-Intercooler-Kit-JZS161-JZA80-2JZ-GTE-54134#

HKS Type S

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/HKS-Type-S-Intercooler-Kit-14196

Don't think there will be much in it regarding fitment.

Edited by Anees (see edit history)

I've got the Greddy LS from Gaz at Envy (free plug) :-) and its a very good kit and easy to fit with plenty of room at the front for the crash bar to go back on etc.

Gaz does the Greddy kit which comes with new P/S cooler and bottle etc, good kit and cheap.

I always thought that the more expensive intercoolers had a better core design than some of the cheaper ones. The better the core design, the better the air is going to be cooled, and the denser the inlet charge surely? Obviously if you are going for a branded one, you are safe anyway as they are all pretty good. I used to have an XS Power type intercooler, and changed for a Greddy 4 row when I went single, and of you looked down the end of the intercooler there was quite a difference.