68 members have voted

1. 1. Should we encourage more imports?

• Yes, we should bring in as many as possible
    • No, there are plenty of cars here now
    • Not sure, let me think about it
    • I'm not bothered but I'm bothered enough to choose this option
    • We should try and limit the imports to "special" examples now
    • I'm still an idiot

Random thought time again... as existing Supra owners and enthusiasts who often complain about the value of our cars dropping do we have a duty to try and cut down on the number of "try this importer" type posts we make when new members join?

Surely we are at a point where there are plenty of Supras in the UK now, do we need to encourage more imports?

Or are all the cars in the UK or such a poor standard that we need more of them?

:D KILL THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note, I guess it's a good idea to stop the bad cars coming in, but if we stopped it all then we'd have quite a limited supply of decent Supras in the UK. The life span of the average Supra these days is dropping almost as quickly as the prices, so maybe the costs will bottom out once enough of them are crashed to make them "dangerous".

Supra's are now just entered that time where the best examples are worth what you can get for them and the bad examples are worth peanuts. Its become a true enthusiasts car now. There is always going to be demand for the very best examples and they are coming from Japan. More being sold over there and kept in better condition due to the low miles. Private sales seem to undercut a fresh import so that shud keep demand lower than it could be.

Enthusiasts will only be looking for the 'perfect' Supra for them, but there will still be boy racers and chavs around buying the dogs just so they can say they have one and pay very little for it.

I'd expect almost everyone on here to have a good example, because we are enthusiasts, and some Supe's which started off looking a little rough will have had the tlc to bring it back to it's former glory. But you can still go out and pick up a dirt cheap Supra.

I'd rather have one imported than buy one which has not been looked after, but it all comes down to the individual and what he or she wants from a Supra.

So I voted only getting 'special' examples in, top quality imports of a high standard, not cheap ones to make the numbers up.

I'm not conviced that the poor standard of Supra's in the UK is due to recent imports, but obviously there has been an increase in numbers on the road.

The age and condition of the early imports I would say has reduced their value and condition, many alternatives nowadays too.

Look at the prices our cars sell for, compared to what the Europeans and Americans sell for (and the Americans have more cars than us). Half the problem is importers selling cars as cheap as possible or just plain under cutting private sellers.

The other problem is that the Supra has a very bad image, actually it's fecking awful. They are famed for having daft bodykits in colours that would look better on a dyno-rod van.

Though not a prestige marque it's a rare car that is pretty fast and should be worth a hell of a lot more than they are currently.

Stop all imports.....let the chavs write off all of the dog supras.....maintain your nice supra.....less dog supra's means more nice supra's which in turn will be worth more......and this will mean less chavs buying cos of cost.

Wallah ! :) solved the cost issue and the chav issue.

Or this way ... we own the cars its up to us what to sell it for if we all put prices up when we sold then well people who want one will pay the money... it will keep the chavs away...

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

I dont care about car prices but do care about parts, secondhand gearboxes and diffs are silly money now thats if you can even find them.

I say bring in loads (you will never stop it anyhow) and let them get cheap as possible, that way all the chavs will buy and smash em up and we get cheap parts:D

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

I dont care about car prices but do care about parts, secondhand gearboxes and diffs are silly money now thats if you can even find them.

I say bring in loads (you will never stop it anyhow) and let them get cheap as possible, that way all the chavs will buy and smash em up and we get cheap parts:D

That's ok if you want to chuck money away for no good reason, but I'd quite like to sell mine and get an e36 M3 without putting any money into the BMW.

I know Jake said the other week you shouldn't worry about residules but I would rather keep my money in my pocket than just lose it with nothing to show for it- if you see what I mean.

That's ok if you want to chuck money away for no good reason, but I'd quite like to sell mine and get an e36 M3 without putting any money into the BMW.

I know Jake said the other week you shouldn't worry about residules but I would rather keep my money in my pocket than just lose it with nothing to show for it- if you see what I mean.

Im talking from an owners view and you are talking from a sellers view, How am i chucking money away if a have no intention of selling? if more cars are available at lower prices then parts will be cheaper and more available and im better off.

There is nothing you can do the change things anyhow and if im dead honest i think our cars are about rightly placed in the market at this time.

Something to do with the 'crutch' pedal I'd imagine.

Crutches are medical tools used when a patient is injured usually anywhere below the waist. The word crutch can also refer to anything used by a person for psychological or emotional support, or to something used as an excuse not to engage in normal life activities.

Im talking from an owners view and you are talking from a sellers view, How am i chucking money away if a have no intention of selling? if more cars are available at lower prices then parts will be cheaper and more available and im better off.

There is nothing you can do the change things anyhow and if im dead honest i think our cars are about rightly placed in the market at this time.

Your circumstances may change. Plenty of people thought they would never sell their P&J (any marque) then all of a sudden it's gotta go. 5 of my collegues lost their jobs yesterday, had I been one of those the car would have been on ebay with no reserve (and I guess that is the only true way of establishing value).

I'm clearly being thick about the parts prices- can you explain that mate :)

Your circumstances may change. Plenty of people thought they would never sell their P&J (any marque) then all of a sudden it's gotta go. 5 of my collegues lost their jobs yesterday, had I been one of those the car would have been on ebay with no reserve (and I guess that is the only true way of establishing value).

I'm clearly being thick about the parts prices- can you explain that mate :)

The way i see it is people are forever complaining that car values are going down, it happens and imo we are in a good situation compared to a lot of people out there.

What has the average supra price dropped in the last year, couple grand the most? try buying a new car and see what that loses in the first couple of years.

Good clean supras with decent miles will always be worth a decent price for there age imo.

Tatty high milers will go for peanuts.

Regarding the parts prices imo second hand 6 speed gearboxs, diffs, engines etc prices are going throught the roof.

The cheaper the cars are the cheaper the secondhand parts will be.