The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Difficulty getting into reverse / 1st

cheekymonkey

Thanks to the guys who helped me push the supra backwards on Saturday at Llandow as it would NOT go into reverse :)

It seems to happen after hard driving so must be down to heat or something. I had this problem to a lesser degree a few months ago, and collapsing pressure plates was suggested, but now I'm on a new clutch (RPS Street Max) and it's still doing it.

Once I got home and the car was a normal temps again it was fine!

What could it be?

• 8 months later...

Just wanted to bump this to get some more ideas. I just realised that this problem started to occur *before* I got the RPS Street Max fitted, so I thought getting a new clutch would sort it.

It's happening more and more now, essentially I cannot reverse if I need to when I'm out and about on the road unless I turn the engine off, engage reverse and then start her up again. Even with the clutch fully depressed I have to control the car with the brake in reverse -it's like an auto :)

Still have the problem with 1st gear too, it's not as bad but I really have to use a LOT of force to push the clutch down, else I get the dreaded crunching noise and people give me funny looks!

Can I adjust the pedal a little to get more travel? Any other ideas?

I have done it on a Skyline with a race clutch by sleeving the slave cylinder. It's a lot of time and work though. You shouldn't need to do any of this though, having said that it's anything but unusual with RPS clutches, in my opinion. OS Giken seem the best for sensible money, but aren't a drag start clutch!