The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A couple cooling questions

Chris and Alana

Hi guy's, I have been looking into maybe getting a FMIC to free up space at each side vent for oil cooler's (engine oil, auto fluid, PAS) I have been doing some searching and have read that if you fit a FMIC to an auto you need to move the standard PAS cooler, is this true of all kits or can it stay where it is? Also I have read that the standard auto box cooler is in the way :search:

Although I want to run seperate coolers for these anyway I simply dont have the funds to do it all at once and was going to gradually do it over the winter months.

Second thing I was wanting to know is if I need to run a thermostat to control an Auto box cooler and PAS cooler? I know it is important to run one on the engine oil cooler but I am not sure about the auto box and PAS cooler. Also if someone could be so kind to educate me into where you would plumb an auto cooler and PAS cooler into (as I would like to have a go myself) it would be appriciated :)

Right, I have found that I can use the standard auto transmission cooler built into the bottom of the rad as a PAS cooler, I take it this will give adequate cooling for the odd track day, well once I have ducted the rad to my top secret front?

I now have the option of keeping the SMIC (as there is one less cooler to worry about) and getting an oil cooler and a seperate auto transmission cooler. Would it be ok to have one behind the other in one of the side vents (as my SMIC is in the other) both ducted correctly of course.

Tbh you shouldnt need a PAS cooler, the standard one is fine.

Yup, I'd just get an auto box cooler if you're doing lots of drag or track work. You also might want a auto cooler if you're going over 420ish bhp and want to use the stock autobox.

The idea was to have the car as a toy as from next year (Im buying another car as a daily) and use the supra in the summer months as a road car but also be able to cope with the odd track day. We have always wanted to explore the potential of the car in a 'safe' environment and learn how to drive the thing properly.

From searching older threads I found that an addidinal PAS cooler is a very good idea for track use but then I read an old post by Chris Wilson saying that you can use the existing auto cooler on the bottom of the rad as a PAS cooler.

Being an auto, I read that heat is the worst enemy of the autobox and although it would be and is fine (had no probs so far but I intent to fit some temp gauges in the future) on the road I would feel much better with an auto transmission cooler for track use and an oil cooler for the same reason.

As for the SMIC, I have ducted that to the left had hole (If your looking at the bumper) using the existing ducting and other material so I feel this should be just as good as stock.

The idea was to have the car as a toy as from next year (Im buying another car as a daily) and use the supra in the summer months as a road car but also be able to cope with the odd track day. We have always wanted to explore the potential of the car in a 'safe' environment and learn how to drive the thing properly.

From searching older threads I found that an addidinal PAS cooler is a very good idea for track use but then I read an old post by Chris Wilson saying that you can use the existing auto cooler on the bottom of the rad as a PAS cooler.

Being an auto, I read that heat is the worst enemy of the autobox and although it would be and is fine (had no probs so far but I intent to fit some temp gauges in the future) on the road I would feel much better with an auto transmission cooler for track use and an oil cooler for the same reason.

As for the SMIC, I have ducted that to the left had hole (If your looking at the bumper) using the existing ducting and other material so I feel this should be just as good as stock.

Chris, the auto box radiator cooler does make an ideal PAS cooler but bare in mind if your doing track days you want the whole cooling system to be tip top and that includes the main radiator, if its an old rad the extra stress's of a track day may well tip it over the edge. With the regard to the auto box cooling i spent a lot of time getting mine right and i feel the first thing you need to do is fit a temp gauge, see this thread here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=64079&highlight=iron, then you will need at least 2 coolers of a good size, dont bother with the cheap fluidyne ones as they are c**p go for a similar size Mocal it doesn't have to be precise so pick up a bargain off e-bay (dont get second hand ones :(), cooling fans are also essential as if you get a temp gauge you will soon see when you get stuck in traffic and as you have said a TOTAL seal duct (1mm sheet aly is ideal) is absolutely essential on the coolers otherwise your wasting your time