The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going to buy a machine polisher

Guest Budz86

Guest Budz86

As above I'm looking at machine polishers. Seen one from draper at £140 and been told by the bloke in the shop it is the way forward. To be fair, he seems quite knowledgable (sp?) but just wanted more opinions.

Who has one and what did you go for? Whats a resonable price to pay?

Thanks

Dean

Depends really if your after a dual action polisher or a rotary mate, and that desicion i would say comes down to whether or not you have used anything like this before. But saying that there is nothing to stop you going straight for a rotary and practicing on some scrap panels to get to grips with it.

I've got a Chicago Pneumatic one, I paid £140 for. Nice bit of kit and fairly compact and light (ish) for a polisher.

http://www.cp.com/content.aspx?pageid=1408

I've started with a Silverline which was OK but the weight is a factor when you've been using it for hours.

The build quality and motor is far superior on the CP ones, don't worry too much about soft start, the CP I've got doesn't have it yet you get used it.

Edited by Paul (see edit history)

You may want to consider one of these kits

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polishing-machine/cat_17.html

Yes there have been issues with some of the G220's, i myself had trouble with my first one, but Meguiars support is very very good.

I'm only pointing these out incase you are not aware of them. These are whats known as a dual action polisher. I would say the same finish can be achieved (or very similar) with one of these compared to a rotary, but it just takes longer. These are however in no way comparable to the twin handle Halfords job

You may want to consider one of these kits

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polishing-machine/cat_17.html

Yes there have been issues with some of the G220's, i myself had trouble with my first one, but Meguiars support is very very good.

I'm only pointing these out incase you are not aware of them. These are whats known as a dual action polisher. I would say the same finish can be achieved (or very similar) with one of these compared to a rotary, but it just takes longer. These are however in no way comparable to the twin handle Halfords job

:yeahthat:

The G220 problems have been resolved now and all the new units shipped should be v2. :)

If this is purely for your car at home Budz86, i dont think you will go wrong or be disappointed with a G220 or Porta Cable

Depends on how much experience you have on handling power tools. If you're a bit kack handed then go for something like the G220 but don't be scared of going straight to the 'real thing' and getting a decent rotary polisher.

You'll get quicker results with a rotary but could also inflict paint damage more easily, just a case of going easy at first.

Another good tip is it pick your products carefully....

G3 for example is not lubricated, whereas the Menzerna stuff I use is... (Lubrication stops it burning through the paint at a rate of knots)

Yep, I use mainly Menzerna, much easier and safer to use over G3. I do still use G3 in some instances but alot more care is needed and plenty of lube.

Menzerna products are superb but do play up a little depending on temperature/weather.

Guest Budz86

Thanks for the tips guys, havn't had a chance to look at all of these properly as I'm still at work but I'll be going through them all properly tomorrow with a view to buying one for next weekend.

Havn't had any experiance using these before but I want to make sure it's a decent one. Not bothered about getting the whole car polished in the time it takes to have a Malboro, more bothered about the end finish. I know it's going to take me a good few applications to get it to a standard I'd be happy with (mirror!)

When you say it's easy to mess up the paintwork if your not careful, what exactly can go wrong?

Halfords polisher for sale here :p

That said, I wsa very impressed with it, but that is compared to a bucket of soap and water job. Might need to upgrade if the quality of these is far superior

Mine's buried somewhere in the cupboard, so don't worry you aren't the only one with one :)