The mkiv Supra Owners Club

whats enough power

_Shane_

What is enough power in your eyes to have in an everyday supra ?

Going sending mine for a rebuild , single turbo conversion in the

next few months, just need to pick up some more bits etc

Car is running 400bhp at the moment and 430 torque, love

the car and the pull off the turbo's etc but am i mad upping

for more power ?

What ye guys running in your supra's and do you use them

for everyday use / weekend use / track etc

Hard question really, mine's an everyday car but I rarely get to use all the power on the way to and from work. As a bit of fun on the weekend then 550ish is a great amount of power. It's plenty enough to light the tyres up in 1st and 2nd (even 3rd if you don't have decent tyres) and certainly puts a smile on my face. I would say though, even at this power level, it does start to feel normal ;)

I dont use the 400bhp either daily as going to work is just a back log of traffic.

Give the car a blast at the weekends,the pull of the second turbo is just something else.

Drove a 01 R34 gtr v spec last weekend, was offered a very good price for a trade in

with my soup , the gtr was 455bhp and 370 torque and driving it i felt the supra would

take it, no fun with the turbos as they both kicked in together in the gtr.

Main reason i asking about the power is i am planning on doing a full rebuild but i

get second thoughts every now and then about it, lot of money and will it be worth it?

@ Ian, I have some stupid exedy clutch in my soup and traffic is a nightmare :(

You should see the muscle in my left leg over it hahahaha

I think power is dependent on how willing you are to use it and how much you value your license. Mine's plenty powerful for most situations, you always feel you want more though. But i'd concentrate on driveablilty and power delivery, that's what makes a car fast in my eyes. If there powers up at 6.5k rpm then by the time you've spooled it's probably time to brake for the next corner.

550 to 600 :) You can have traction issues in 3rd in the dry at that level of power, so more than that means you need to be in 4th before you completely hook up, and what's the point in that if it's a street car eh? I've been at that power level for 3 or 4 years now and still feel no urge for more, in fact I'm usually found on 1.2bar instead of the 1.4bar max I mapped it for :shrug:

Also beyond those levels then it's evil clutches and a dubious lifespan of the stock motor, so lots of £'s for less streetability.

-Ian

At the wheels or crank Ian?

In a well set up road car, on good rubber etc, 400HP/ton is enough to have a LOT of fun with. More can just get very frustrating on our roads.

400hp/ton!!! Wouldn't that be like over 700bhp, I think that would be enough to have fun.

If your car has the correct suspension setup, in a straight line most will feel theres never enough, on a daily, 500bhp at the fly would be more than enough as long as its a quick spooling turbo,

The problem is, you have 400bhp now, and you are used to that, ask most folk on here that have went single and they will say they should have went slightly bigger - once you get used to the car your always wanting more!:D

Is your engine broken - or in dire need or a rebuild?

Main reason i asking about the power is i am planning on doing a full rebuild but i

get second thoughts every now and then about it, lot of money and will it be worth it?

I have been toying with the idea for a few years now and have come to my own conclusion that it wont be worth it. Will be replacing stock turbos for new stock turbos when it comes to the crunch

For me a true 500BHP car is enough for the UK roads, does not stop me always wanting more but I find this is all to often because of the bragging rights if I am honest

I had built an R32 GTR 2.7 Stroker a couple of years ago with no thought in mind except for big power, and tuners will snap your hand off for a request like that, we got 735 hub HP, but the car was a pig to drive, carbon carbon clutch and a real handful on full boost, a BPU Supra or small single is the best in terms of use and power IMO :)

At the wheels or crank Ian?

In a well set up road car, on good rubber etc, 400HP/ton is enough to have a LOT of fun with. More can just get very frustrating on our roads.

Oh good lord the crank my dear chap :) When Ryan G dyno'd it at SSR it came up with er 565 of 585bhp at the crank, high four hundreds at the wheels. It's a conservative tune on the ignition side of things :limp:

-Ian

Guest CoolsBlue

everyday supra? N/a, standard 3ltr business, stronger engine that the TT, most common in auto, lovely drive everyday...

TT - drink to much petrol, why drive a tt on uk roads when the max limit is 70? if you follow the law that it

Beegsingle - same as the TT and break to much? id be on the back of a AA truck all the time

Guest CoolsBlue
:ban:

I speak nothing but the truth, N/A's have been in the shadows to much, time to start backing them up!!!

STRONGER ENGINES THAT THE TT'S

:nana:go N/A's:nana:

Car is running 400bhp at the moment and 430 torque

thats a lot of torque you got there for a 400bhp supra....i am assuming that you are bpu, right?

For me a true 500BHP car is enough for the UK roads, does not stop me always wanting more but I find this is all to often because of the bragging rights if I am honest

:thumbs:

everyday supra? N/a, standard 3ltr business, stronger engine that the TT, most common in auto, lovely drive everyday...

TT - drink to much petrol, why drive a tt on uk roads when the max limit is 70? if you follow the law that it

Beegsingle - same as the TT and break to much? id be on the back of a AA truck all the time

TT's are very reliable unless you go single imo. If you want to go single, you have got to have the cash to back the conversion up...

Tbh, i don't think that there is too much difference with mpg with the N/A's and TT's...

The N/a should do 20 mpg and the TT 18 mpg if it is standard...

Insurance is pretty much the same too...

Having owned both types, i don't think that there is too much difference than slightly dearer servicing costs...

Guest CoolsBlue
TT's are very reliable unless you go single imo. If you want to go single, you have got to have the cash to back the conversion up...

Tbh, i don't think that there is too much difference with mpg with the N/A's and TT's...

The N/a should do 20 mpg and the TT 18 mpg if it is standard...

Insurance is pretty much the same too...

Having owned both types, i don't think that there is too much difference than slightly dearer servicing costs...

Exactly..which is why the N/A is a better option as a everday car;)

tt cost more to service, does less mpg than the na and the na has a stonger engine