The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Turbo regrets?

Axle

Those of you who have gone single, do you regret it?

I am wondering if there is such a setup which would avoid the many pitfalls many people seem to experience in going single.

If you could magic your car back to Stock/BPU and take back the money spent would you?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it has been a money pit from day one

Agreed, but I've got sour grapes in one hand and the keys to my R1 in the other;), I never completed the project, but it was too expensive imho,

I dare say the feeling of owning one will be awesome, I was chasing that same feeling I got the day I bought the sup, Bpu just didnt hit it anymore, a ride in a few high powered cars did:d

I'm probably on the slippery path to killing myself switching over to bikes for the mean time, but I have to say, I've never felt anything like it!

I will say their not as cheap as first thought either, they have ate into my savings more than I would have imagined, disappointed in myself the money was meant for other things, but we all got to get our kicks from somewhere, and this gives it in bucket loads!!;)

Single is a good thing if you've going to actually use the potential...I actually found I never drove it hard enough to warrant doing the conversion (though I loved the removal of the second turbo surge - as personally I didn't like it suddenly upping the torque halfway round a bend).

I should have stuck with the stock system, because A) I didn't drive it hard enough probably due to B) I wasn't really able to afford the running costs after the build costs had taken their toll.

Never ever ever ever ever do it if you don't have the cash actually in the bank to start with (7-10k).

Never ever ever ever ever do it if you don't have the cash actually in the bank to start with (7-10k).

Without opening up a can of worms (again), for a base setup, no frills setup;)

If you have a full time job, make sure you have a lit garage to work in late at night, depending on when your carrying out the work, this does become a nuisance, or add an extra couple of K maybe more for the labour if your not doing it yourself.

Corners can be cut in bucket loads on a Single install, but it just makes problem solving that much more harder when problems do arise, main factor I reckon nowadays is any money spent is money lost,

I'm biased and cant see it but do people have the same perception of supra enthusiasts as I and probably most of us had/have on suped up Cavi Turbos/Sierra Cosworths/Granada's and the like, that their fast but their owners must have been insane to spend the money to get them that fast? I hope not, but in a few year I suspect they will:(

Without opening up a can of worms (again), for a base setup, no frills setup;)

If you have a full time job, make sure you have a lit garage to work in late at night, depending on when your carrying out the work, this does become a nuisance, or add an extra couple of K maybe more for the labour if your not doing it yourself.

Corners can be cut in bucket loads on a Single install, but it just makes problem solving that much more harder when problems do arise, main factor I reckon nowadays is any money spent is money lost,

I'm biased and cant see it but do people have the same perception of supra enthusiasts as I and probably most of us had/have on suped up Cavi Turbos/Sierra Cosworths/Granada's and the like, that their fast but their owners must have been insane to spend the money to get them that fast? I hope not, but in a few year I suspect they will:(

Most people think im insane based on the running costs of a bpu

I think thats pretty much the case now, love mine but do feel a bit of a chav sometimes:D and mine is pretty tame looking.

I think thats pretty much the case now, love mine but do feel a bit of a chav sometimes:D and mine is pretty tame looking.

Does anyone ever have anything nice to say about others in cars that aren't the norm though? you're either a Chav, poser, rich cunt, trying to make up for something else...

Lol, I dont know if the sup will ever have the full wrath of Chavism that the Cavi's,Sierra's and Granadas enjoyed

But that may be down to the fact that most people still dont know what the damned thing is when you tell them what you drive!:rolleyes:;) 'Yes my cousin had a subaru....' and then you know how it goes from there:d

Nope, no regret having a single and yes I've had major expense including engine and gearbox rebuild etc. Don't think you can beat them for the money, once you're out on the road with the window down and wastegate wide open - you remember why you love it :cool:

As for how people view me, I really don't care :p

nope, no regret having a single and yes i've had major expense including engine and gearbox rebuild etc. Don't think you can beat them for the money, once you're out on the road with the window down and wastegate wide open - you remember why you love it :cool:

As for how people view me, i really don't care :p

They probably think, what a chav...:D :p

Single is a good thing if you've going to actually use the potential...I actually found I never drove it hard enough to warrant doing the conversion (though I loved the removal of the second turbo surge - as personally I didn't like it suddenly upping the torque halfway round a bend).QUOTE]

I agree, no regrets from me, just probably don't use it to its full potential really, and kind of miss the lower spool up.