The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Missfire- I need help ASAP

Firestorm

Hi Guys

Just got the back from MOT and its passed but i have a missfire and i need to figure this problem out before the track day on saturday.

okay i have recently changed the Spark plugs to denso ik24s, changed the Coil pack clips and installed a walbro fuel pump.

ive heard there is way of testing what plut/pack it mite be by pulling off one clip at a time is this true or will it mess up?

any other ideas how on what it may be and how i can test this out.?

if it is coilpacks, does anyone have spare coupla i could borrow to test?

thanks

Pete

I may have a misfire too, did you feel your Supe lose performance with a misfire??

How can you tell that a misfire is happening??

You can feel a stuttering/hessitation under high engine load, it's quite easy to spot if you have had it before.

You can feel a stuttering/hessitation under high engine load, it's quite easy to spot if you have had it before.

No but when she idling, it seems a little 'jumpy' and idles a bit irratic but Mark at Phoenix thought that could be my o2 sensor playing up...

I don't notice any decrease in performance either. Surely something would appear on the dash wouldn't it??

Also, i get a strange 'popping' noise out of the exhaust but i think due to ill fitment of the exhaust a while back, it has been slightly damaged and is now blowing a bit...

No but when she idling, it seems a little 'jumpy' and idles a bit irratic but Mark at Phoenix thought that could be my o2 sensor playing up...

I don't notice any decrease in performance either. Surely something would appear on the dash wouldn't it??

Also, i get a strange 'popping' noise out of the exhaust but i think due to ill fitment of the exhaust a while back, it has been slightly damaged and is now blowing a bit...

Mine has developed pretty much the same symptoms, only really noticeable on idle and very low RPM no problems with high load/RPM

Have a look at my thread in technical, still no resolve yet, quite a lot to look into.

Mine has developed pretty much the same symptoms, only really noticeable on idle and very low RPM no problems with high load/RPM

Have a look at my thread in technical, still no resolve yet, quite a lot to look into.

Hmm...could this be a misfire then??

Only, my spark plugs were changed 200 miles ago though...

I'll have a look though on your thread...:)

This one is a pretty bad one... i recomended not driving this hard as i thought it not safe... It feels like the car has RLTC, by that i mean injector cut etc. I managed to cure the boost problem, he had one of the VSVs piped incorrectly, But I wasnt given the time to investigate further into the missfire..

Pete had the misfire before the plugs, coil pack clip and the pump so those are ruled out. Ive told him to check the the igintionsystem to see if there lies the problem..

This one is a pretty bad one... i recomended not driving this hard as i thought it not safe... It feels like the car has RLTC, by that i mean injector cut etc. I managed to cure the boost problem, he had one of the VSVs piped incorrectly, But I wasnt given the time to investigate further into the missfire..

Pete had the misfire before the plugs, coil pack clip and the pump so those are ruled out. Ive told him to check the the igintionsystem to see if there lies the problem..

Hmm, i don't think mine and Tricky-Ricky's is that bad really.

We both seem to have the same symptoms but like i said irratic idling is usually to do with the o2 sensor.

The popping noise is definetely coming out from my exhaust behind the 2nd decat pipe as i felt the gap it has and also felt the exhaust gases coming out onto my hand.

I will definetely check though for a misfire just to make sure.

My bet is though, if i was to put a different cat back exhaust on, the noise will disappear...

This misfire is low down on the rev range the car finds it hard to pull through... My NA is faster off the mark lol.... It does have an iratic idle also.. Free reving is almost clear but as soon as any load is applied it faulters...

The car should be BPUed but the performance is WAY off at the mo...

It could be the same however im not sure of the High RPM as I didnt want to damage Petes car on test drive... Im not sure trying it would be a good idea but im sure Pete will have something to report when hes back..

This misfire is low down on the rev range the car finds it hard to pull through... My NA is faster off the mark lol.... It does have an iratic idle also.. Free reving is almost clear but as soon as any load is applied it faulters...

The car should be BPUed but the performance is WAY off at the mo...

No mine is totally the opposite. Ok, she idles a little bit irratic and makes a 'popping' noise out of the exhaust but she pulls lovely and drives nice...touch wood! :D

Firestorm's car is UK spec isn't it? It means it have MAF sensor. I would clean it with caburator cleaner (spray). It certainly helps with MR-S stuttering and missfires. Or am I talking crap? :D

Edit: yes, i'm talking crap, just found out his is J-spec. He had UK turbos knocking around if I remember correctly :p Anyway just out of curiosity - is cleaning MAF sensor in UK Supra the same like in MR-S?

Firestorm's car is UK spec isn't it? It means it have MAF sensor. I would clean it with caburator cleaner (spray). It certainly helps with MR-S stuttering and missfires. Or am I talking crap? :D

Edit: yes, i'm talking crap, just found out his is J-spec. He had UK turbos knocking around if I remember correctly :p Anyway just out of curiosity - is cleaning MAF sensor in UK Supra the same like in MR-S?

Mine has a MAF sensor in her though Konrad...:)

And is a J-Spec too...

Oh ok then - try and clean it then (by spraying carburator cleaner inside). Just DON'T touch anything as those are known for being quite delicate :p :)

She is going upto Toyota GT next thursday so i'll get them to do as she is also going in for having my polished pipes, a leak down test, and my new HKS ssqv BOV fitted...:)

As i have said though, i do honestly suspect that the o2 sensor is playing up...

No mine is totally the opposite. Ok, she idles a little bit irratic and makes a 'popping' noise out of the exhaust but she pulls lovely and drives nice...touch wood! :D

Mine is the same, and i have checked the O2 sensor, also i can swap from simulated narrow band from my wideband, so not that, no fault codes, it kind of behaves like a exhaust leak, but the fact that its not present when cold makes me think otherwise, it does pop from the exhaust sometimes on the overrun, but just a single pop rather than the crackle you get if theres a leak.

Mine is the same, and i have checked the O2 sensor, also i can swap from simulated narrow band from my wideband, so not that, no fault codes, it kind of behaves like a exhaust leak, but the fact that its not present when cold makes me think otherwise, it does pop from the exhaust sometimes on the overrun, but just a single pop rather than the crackle you get if theres a leak.

Except with my exhaust, i know there is a leak as there is a little open gap just after the 2nd decat pipe and the start of the cat back system,

thanks to the dodgey garage i used...:rolleyes:

Im convinced that is what is causing the 'popping' noise and as for the o2 sensor issue, well that remains to be seen and tested...

Mine has done this ever since I owned it, never got any worse nor affected performance in any way. The slightly erratic idle and exhaust popping is IIRC from having a non-recirculating BOV fitted. Thats what I remember when I first thought I had a problem. Fitted the std one back on and hey presto, idle is back to normal.

Anyway, it has been OK for 4 odd years, and doesn't worry me in the slightest so i will leave it to do its little pops ;)

This isn't a miss-fire BTW - I know what that is and have had it before but a change in plugs soon sorted that.