The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Condensation in new glass headlights - Faulty?

marbleapple

With regard to getting the water out, do you suggest using a hair dryer to blow the wet air our or just to leave it for a bit with one of the light fittings loose so the engine warms it up?

Just drive with your lights on, its should soon clear out because of the heat given off.

With regard to getting the water out, do you suggest using a hair dryer to blow the wet air out

When I had condensation in mine I just removed the bulbs and used the hairdryer/heatgun to apply heat evenly to the lens (don't melt them :blink: ) so the air warms up in the headlight and evaporates the water which leaves through the empty bulb sockets.:)

Didn't realise it was this common! Mine only do it when the car has been washed really.

I must admit neither did I until I searched before posting the thread... THere are lots of people who have this problem. Many also suggest using a hair dryer and then there are reports just like Hecklers! :D

• 5 weeks later...

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I just thought I would let people know that the advice re the lights appears to have worked.

I removed the lights, ran a hairdryer where the low beam bulb should be and in a matter of minutes the condensation was gone. I then added uk bulbs (as per nics suggestion) and refitted the lights to the car. There has been no condensation since.

Thanks guys

• 1 month later...

sorry for the hi jack, i recently purchased brand new facelifts for my soup

and there has been condensation building up in the passenger light alot lately

both lights were fitted with 2 HID kits before they were put into the car .

driver side is perfect, passenger side always condensation on lense :(

This kept creeping up on my every time it rained. Tried everything... I found out its the HID bulbs not sealing properly. Unfortunately I can't do anything about that so I took both headlight into the house and let them dry overnight. Next I put all the bulbs in and packed bluetac in the dip (behind the bulb) sealing it completely. This idea works great, no condensation came back. If my bulbs ever blew from old age the bluetac can be removed etc...