The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hammerite smooth caliper paint kit?

jazz1

Yea you can, imo works 10 x better than "most" calliper paints that i have seen on the market, plus lasts a lot longer as well. Just make sure you clean the callipers a off before you paint them and youll be fine. Probably wont get a perfect finish (like the same as brand new brembo's and that have) but they will come up really nice for stock callipers, and with he paint at half the price of so called "calliper paint" as well!

is it heat resistant?

Yup. Does exactly what it says on the tin. :)

(There are a few varities so check the tins closely.)

The only person I read who had a problem, was someone who painted his yellow, then almost immediately went out and caned his car & brakes before the paint had dried, let alone cured. It tarnished a bit. :rolleyes:

I`m not aware of Hammerite doing a kit. If your calipers have already been done with Foliatec check that Hammerite does`nt react with it by applying a small dab and letting it cure fully. If your calipers are unpainted use plenty of spray on brake cleaner before painting. I`ve also heard of people using Humbrol model enamel paints with good results.

Jazz, that stuff you put the link to from Halfords, yea that's the stuff you want. No the heat dosnt effect it (just give it a short while to dry first) usually touch dry within 10 mins depending how thick a coat you put on), and it will last for aages.

Have done 4 cars now using it and all have come out great and lasted very well.

If you want red I would get the Plasti-kote smooth paint available from B & Q or Halfords, it's a much nicer shade of red than the hammerite stuff. I've tried both.

They sell metallic red too and loads of colours, it's very durable.

You'll get a nicer finish with the spray stuff, I do.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_161846_langId_-1_categoryId_90887

Does that stuff dry out to flat? Have seen some of the enamel paints give quite impressive results. Only down side is you will have to mask up the workings of the brakes, as well as the disk in the immediate area to avoid too much over spray but nothing a quick bit of masking tape wouldn't sort :D.

Guest Budz86

This is a good idea. I wanted to paint my brakes while I change the anti-squeals this weekend. Hammerite sounds like it's the way forward.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if you can get the 'Supra' decals, like on the UK brakes anywhere? Think they would look cool.

This is a good idea. I wanted to paint my brakes while I change the anti-squeals this weekend. Hammerite sounds like it's the way forward.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if you can get the 'Supra' decals, like on the UK brakes anywhere? Think they would look cool.

i think you can buy them on ebay

Did my j-spec calipers today using black smooth hammerite... seem to look ok, just waiting for them to dry properly and put supra decals on them.

Btw when I cleaned up my calipers I didn't realise there was a supra logo on the fronts such was the dirt! :)