The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Wtire Off

Stevie72

Further to my previous thread, it would look as though the Insurance Company Budget - underwritten by Fortis will be looking to pay me off.

I went to the Garage where the car is pending decision and the parts needed to get her on the road are:

New front Bumper (Could be repaired from what I can see)

New Passenger side front quarter panel

New Passenger Headlight.

Front and rear tyre and 2 new alloys.

I would value my UK TT 93 Plate with 135k Auto between £5-6k which would mean usually an insurnce Co would pay up to 60% repairs to get her on the road, so let's say if the repair bills including labour are more that £3k then they will write her off.

Just did a value price search on Parkers and a UK Spec on a 94 plate is valued at £3k trade £4.7k dealer. Peanuts!!

What do you think i should do:

1) Haggle over price and don't take first offer

2) let them write it off and buy it back and DIY.

3) Insist they repair and jusitfy the price of parts that are being provided by Toyota, as the Garage have asked Toyota for parts prices

by Toyota (The Garage - John Grose Group - Ipswich)

:(

Further to my previous thread, it would look as though the Insurance Company Budget - underwritten by Fortis will be looking to pay me off.

I went to the Garage where the car is pending decision and the parts needed to get her on the road are:

New front Bumper (Could be repaired from what I can see)

New Passenger side front quarter panel

New Passenger Headlight.

Front and rear tyre and 2 new alloys.

I would value my UK TT 93 Plate with 135k Auto between £5-6k which would mean usually an insurnce Co would pay up to 60% repairs to get her on the road, so let's say if the repair bills including labour are more that £3k then they will write her off.

Just did a value price search on Parkers and a UK Spec on a 94 plate is valued at £3k trade £4.7k dealer. Peanuts!!

What do you think i should do:

1) Haggle over price and don't take first offer

2) let them write it off and buy it back and DIY.

3) Insist they repair and jusitfy the price of parts that are being provided by Toyota, as the Garage have asked Toyota for parts prices

by Toyota (The Garage - John Grose Group - Ipswich)

:(

I take it you never had agreed value then?

If you know what part's are needed to fix it do what I did:

1) Call up 3 different Toyota dealerships and get them to send you written quotes with all the part's on so you know the cost involved there.

2) Call up 3 garages that you trust to do the work and ask them for labour cost's to fit all the parts you have just bought. Get them to send you a written estimate too.

With all this in hand, send it to the insurance company so they can see if they are paying over the odds for parts.

May seem pretty basic, but it works wonders. HTH

Dean

So 60% of £3k is £1800 for 1 light, bumper, wing and 2 alloys and tyres? Im sure you could source the relavent parts for that using this site for around that. Or does everything have to be knew rather than from Jezz etc?

Either way I hope it works out for you mate:)

So 60% of £3k is £1800 for 1 light, bumper, wing and 2 alloys and tyres? Im sure you could source the relavent parts for that using this site for around that. Or does everything have to be knew rather than from Jezz etc?

Either way I hope it works out for you mate:)

I will see what they price the parts up to be.

I think the bumper can be more than saved - then i would be happy to use 2nd's to get it back to the road. Therefore i think the option of buying it back might be the route to go.

That said, it's the hassle and getting someone in the know to do it.

:search:

1) Call up 3 different Toyota dealerships and get them to send you written quotes with all the part's on so you know the cost involved there.

2) Call up 3 garages that you trust to do the work and ask them for labour cost's to fit all the parts you have just bought. Get them to send you a written estimate too.

With all this in hand, send it to the insurance company so they can see if they are paying over the odds for parts.

Dean

Dear Budz86

I understand that the garage are getting the estimates from a Toyota garage. That said, perhaps 3 different Toyota dealer/repair shops might quote differently?

Dean

:thumbs: I think if everyone did this it would , eventually, get insurance down.

i had the same problem when i hit the kerb in my audi coupe the insurance co said it was a write off so i asked what the maximum they would pay before writing it off they said £1100.00 .so i told them i would accept that as a final payment .so i sourced all the parts myself got a good garage to do the work and the whole lot cost me £900.00 so i came out with 200 notes in me pocket- result :)

i had the same problem when i hit the kerb in my audi coupe the insurance co said it was a write off so i asked what the maximum they would pay before writing it off they said £1100.00 .so i told them i would accept that as a final payment .so i sourced all the parts myself got a good garage to do the work and the whole lot cost me £900.00 so i came out with 200 notes in me pocket- result :)

Only downside (although i will probably keep the car and run it into the ground) is that is will be Cat c or D if i ask them to payout and do the repairs myself.

That said, it's still a nice UK Supra and if i can get the parts cheap and sourced 2nd hand, then as there is no other structural damage it might be worth it!!