The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Searching for your Supra

Ace

I've decided that I should start actively looking for a Supra now, having been on here for a few months; however I want to make sure that I didn't end up with a complete duffer, just for the sake of having it sooner rather than later.

To my eternal shame, I bought the GTO on a whim and it subsequently caused me no end of heartache (not to mention wallet-ache). :blink: Compared to the Mitsy, my next car would have to be relatively bulletproof.

Experience tells me to be extremely patient with the next purchase. The ongoing running costs would not be an issue, as you can associate those with all motors of that ilk - as long as they do not come hand-in-hand with ongoing repair costs :(

I'm just wondering how long it took people on here, from the moment of deciding exactly what they were looking for in a Supra, to actually being passed the keys.

How many Supras did you look at before going for your current one?

Did you come across many (if any) potential bad 'uns during your search?

Has anyone bought their motor without doing all the homework, then had their fingers burnt by it (a la me :p) ?

Guest CoolsBlue

when i got mine, my first fully working one, i didnt care what was wrong with it, as i wanted a project and it was basically a full car that needed lots of TLC

i'm just wondering how long it took people on here, from the moment of deciding exactly what they were looking for in a supra, to actually being passed the keys. 2 weeks

how many supras did you look at before going for your current one? none

did you come across many (if any) potential bad 'uns during your search? no i bought the first one i looked at, was the right colour, mint condition, angie was to lovely to say no to :)

abc

I looked in Yorkshire, Linconshire and the Midlands before see the car i wanted :) must have clocked a few 1000 mile and lots of time during the summer months running around.

I did enjoy speaking with different owners and trade guys about the car and getting there varied reactions and comments.

The one i picked was different to what i originally started looking for but i knew when it was what i wanted, some work done but with potential for me to do more and put my name on it.

A litle bit more money than the Red UK TT that came second place.

I do tend to buy vehicles that i think 'that's the one' so sometimes it ends up costing me, i tend to gamble on my instinct, doesn't suit all by does me :)

I had a good experience looking for mine, started searching autotrader on a Wednesday, found one to see about 10 minutes in. Saw it at 12 and bought it by 130! It was the first one I saw but she ticked all the boxes. Sold the MR2 the next week and picked up the Supe the next weekend. Not had a single problem yet except reversing in to my garage support yesterday.

There's no such thing as a bomb proof performance car, good luck with the search.

I figured someone would mention that eventually :)

Every high performance motor will present its own problems - that's just the nature of the beast - but I'm not keen on having the car on the road for less than the rest of the crowd, and paying more (through repairs) for the "privilege" :p

i kind of jumped into things had always wanted a supra and i was going to go for the N/A for insurance reasons but then i got a quote for a TT and it was only 100 quid extra. Knowing this i knew i wanted a TT manual so my search began on auto trader but did'nt see anything that tickled my fancy. Anyways i found an importer in york called distinctive cars york and there it was :D the supe i had been looking for, went down to look at the car and i was very pleased with it and bought it right away :) what a feeling.

ive now had the car for around 5 months and had no problems with it.

I BLOODY LOVE IT!!

i was lookin on pistonheads and autotrader and ebay for a few months, before i found one i really liked the look of that was within my budget.. i took my time tho once i found the car and i tried to get as much history as i could on it. im happy over all though, few stonechips here n there but thats an easy fix in time.. as long as there solid and mechanically sound thats the main thing.. cosmetic side you can always sort out at later date in my oppinion.

I'm just wondering how long it took people on here, from the moment of deciding exactly what they were looking for in a Supra, to actually being passed the keys.

6 months

How many Supras did you look at before going for your current one?

Can't remember, possibly 8.

Did you come across many (if any) potential bad 'uns during your search?

Yes, most were sheds, especialy the manuals.

Has anyone bought their motor without doing all the homework, then had their fingers burnt by it (a la me :p) ?

No but I wish I hung out longer and bought what I actually wanted (black 6 spd)

I was torn between two cars, a nissan skyline and the supra, i did find what i thought was a decent Skyline R33 but when i had a look at it in person its was a complete shed, It took me a week to find a good spec supra, i did find a black one on auto trader in my first search, only for the guy to tell me that it was sold, so i went to my second choice which was a red supra n/a, travelled 30miles to swansea to see, was very well looked after and the owner lived in a retirement village, went for a ride in her to see how she was and no complaints either, i inspected her top to bottom,the car is as clean as you would expect.

I got her for £3850, have loved the car then and still love her now. car is 80% complete in mods with TT conversion with BPU, just need to add the bomex bodykit, bigger breaks and racing suspension.

We can possibly help

http://www.jm-imports.co.uk

I started looking around last July/August (was 23 with 2 years driving experience) and all my insurance quotes were ridiculous (£3k+). Joined the forum to find out more about the cars and managed to get a 'decent' quote for insurance around October time.

Started looking seriously for one to buy around the same time but was torn between saving the money and getting a loan (which I knew I'd pay off in ~6 months anyway) so was trying to resist an looking in too much detail. I eventually caved and just got a loan (which I managed to pay off the month after I got the car anyway). Tried to see a couple that were what I wanted (black GZ auto with OEM skirts and spats) but they ended up getting sold before I could see them.

Got in touch Jurgen (see quote) and started looking for one in Japan. Saw a couple go through that weren't up to scratch and still didn't really find exactly what I was looking for so took a punt on a blue one in Feb that looked decent although standard body, not a GZ and no spoiler (not really what I was initially after but I was getting impatient).

It came in under budget, Jurgen fitted the body kit and sorted everything for me and I've not looked back since. I picked the car up in June and it's been a complete joy ever since. Absolutely chuffed to bits with the car. Having it standard from the start worked out really well for me. It had done 30k miles so was mechanically sound and it's been an ongoing project for me getting it how I want it. Still loads I want to do but that's half the fun.

So in summary, the only one I looked at to buy, I'd already bought and it's great :)

I highly recommend jm-imports if that's the route you choose to go. Top service and Jurgen's a top guy (not that I'm pining for a go in the GTR or anything :p)

I spent 3 years wanting an STi then I was coming home from work one day, a black supra slid past me and roared off....I had one of those draw dropping "OMG-I must have one!!" moments. Couldnt afford it at the time, was paying for a new car. But 18 months later I had my own :D

I spent months researching the supra so I'd know what I was letting myself in for ;) Luckily, the first supra I went to look at (owned by someone on here) was a beauty, solid, enough mods to make it interesting but nothing extrememe. I had no intention of making any changes initially but after a new body kit, full leather/alcantara interior etc etc its about how I want it :)

They are pretty bullet proof as long as you don't do anything daft and any modifications are quality and fitted properly. Parts wear out so make sure you have a pot stashed away for repairs.

Hope you get your dream supra before long :thumbs:

Linda

x

Guest sunnyG83

I searched for my Supra for about 18months and went from searching in Edinburgh and the Lothians to the Midlands and then all the way down to Watford where i found the one i wanted.

I then went back to Scotland and kept in touch with Mark at Pheonix and returned 3 weeks later with a pocket full of cash and a huge smile.

I highly recommend jm-imports if that's the route you choose to go. Top service and Jurgen's a top guy (not that I'm pining for a go in the GTR or anything :p)

I've heard nothing but a lot of good things about JM Imports, but it's a hell of a trek from Kent.

I was hoping someone would fly the flag for Whifbitz; wouldn't mind a few unofficial testimonials about them, as they're in north London.