The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Magnesium alloys

Paul

Originally posted by Bobbeh

I'm pretty sure the 17's on my dads new celica are magnesium alloys. Watch out for the potholes. :)

Could be a laugh trying to weld them :stupid: They cant be that reactive though. The blokes at work grind bits made of magalloy, they just have to make sure they dont get too hot when doing it:eek:

They look much better thanthe one's I saw

Originally posted by Bobbeh

Hehe you just bin them :) I think his are £300 each from Toyota.

These, I've phoned around, are £1000 each and can only be purchased in amounts of twelve or more (special order)

So, knacker one up and I guess I bin them all :eek:

Paul

Nice looking wheels mate. I used to make magnesium alloys for a living, among other parts for F1 cars and stuff but basically they are extremely light but will possibly get damaged easier - depending on what metal was mixed with the magnesium. :thumbs:

Lookin good tho. :)

Just found this quote on my wheels:

Speedline is the only wheel manufacturer in the world that is able to produce magnesium wheels to road going standards. These are the ultimate in premium wheels. Lightweight, high strength and exclusive.Speedline’s cast magnesium wheels, utilize a new and exclusive casting process called H.T.C. (High Temperature Casting). Through an alloy heating process, the wheels are lighter and their characteristics and level of performance are much like forged magnesium wheels…without the expense. Speedline developed their magnesium street wheels to meet the demands of the Original Equipment market and have supplied Ferrari, Lamborghini and General Motors (Corvette C5) with magnesium street wheels. In fact, they are the only wheel manufacturer supplying magnesium wheels to the O.E. market. Speedline offers a 3-year finish warranty on their one-piece magnesium street wheels.

Oh, and Gaz pointed out to me they were a dealer option on DB7's :eek:

Paul

I have magnesium wheel on mine. Make is Gewallt. Don't think they're 100% magnesium though...

I had 1 wheel refurb last year after a little mishap in the rain :eek: I was over in Belgium at the time and they had to send the wheel to Holland to get it fixed...