The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyres, traction, etc

Adam W

Does anyone know if a branded tyre bought in the USA is the same as the same brand bought over here? Ie if I buy a (for instance) Goodyear Eagle F1GSD3 here will it be the same compound that they use in Texas or Idaho or wherever? I found a good thread on supraforums

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165503

talking about which tyres give the best traction at >500hp on the street and wondered if their recommendations would translate across the pond!

No as far as I'm aware it will be different as the rubber will be from the states rather than germany or wherever the europe ones are made. Though the tyre shoud still be fine, its not the same/identical as you'd get here.

Also not sure about standards such as ISO and BS - whether or not it will be tested and stamped to pass..............

However, I guess assuming the wear rates etc are similar/same, then you could prob roughly translate it yes!

I remembe talking to someone about this because they couldnt understand how Micheledever Tyres can sell their Bridgstones so cheap, well cheaper than a supplier can buy direct from Bridgestone, which I believe they have one national centre in the UK, by Leeds somewhere. Anyhow, they said that maybe Micheledever import their tyres, and if so are not meant for our climate. To what degree of affect that would have on handling, you could take with a pinch of salt, but who knows, maybe some truth in'it.....

"Uniform Tyre Quality Grading

Tyres have many markings on them to indicate different features. Different markings are required for the European market, for N. America, and for other markets. Some tyres are labelled for all sales areas, some are only labelled for an individual market. The Uniform Tyre Quality Grading System (UTQGS) is an American tyre information system, sometimes found on tyres sold in the UK.

Treadwear

Traction

Temperature

Each tyre manufacturer performs its own tests in these areas, following U.S. Government prescribed test procedures. Each manufacturer then assigns grades that are branded on the tyre.

Treadwear

Treadwear grades typically range from 60 to over 500, in twenty point increments. It is important to remember that the actual life of any tyre is determined by the road surface quality, driving habits, inflation, wheel alignment and the rotation it experiences.

To receive a treadwear grade, a tyre is tested under controlled conditions on a government prescribed test course which does not necessarily simulate the actual application for which a given tyre is designed to perform. As a result of these test parameters, there is no accurate way to assign miles of wear to treadwear grade points.

Treadwear ratings are determined on a 400 mile government test course covering specified sections of public roads near San Angelo, Texas. A group of not more than four test vehicles travels the course in a convoy so that all tyres experience the same conditions. Tread groove depths of the tyres being tested are measured after each 800 miles. The same procedure is followed for a set of control or course monitoring tyres.

Upon completion of the 7,200 mile test, the rating results of both tests are compared, and the tyres being tested are assigned a treadwear rating by the tyre manufacturer. A tyre with a treadwear grade of 400 might be expected to last twice as long as a tyre that has a grade of 200 if given the same usage and driving style. "

I have seen this grading applied to tyres and remember seeing a list of various tyres and grades (i will try and track it down)