The mkiv Supra Owners Club

gear shift in a 6sp TT j-spec

Paul R

Hi,

I've had my car for a few days now and I'm wondering if there is something missing from my gear shifter??

It's difficult to get it into 5th/6th, as the stick doesnt glide up and down in a channel as such. When I change into 5th, I sometimes push the stick too far to the right and have to slide it back to the left to find 5th gear....It's the same going to 6th gear - this is obviously worse as I suppose if I went to far it would try and go in reverse!!

Should there not be some kind of guide?

Paul.

edit - forgot to add, you can put it in reverse without lifting the 'lock' thingy up.

Originally posted by Bobbeh

It should never net you into reverse at those speeds anyway.

Only gear thats 'rough' for me is 2nd when its cold. 6th is tight but only cos its not really used much. I dont have any problems with my box *oo matron* :p

but is your box the same as mine going from fourth to fith?

Paul.

I have to say I've never had much difficulty with 5th.. whats the mileage on your car?

33000 miles or so.

Your not getting me. The gearbox is fine....it seems like there is something missing from the shifter?? ie, the stick doesnt go into gear because it is too far to the right.

Paul.

Originally posted by MfS

Thats doesnt sound too good m8. Being able to go in reverse without lifting the safety ring is a big no-no!

1st and 2nd have a clunk sound when cold, but the other gears are very smooth!

Have you got any warranty?

nooo....gearbox is fine!! arghhh...

I think there is something up with the mechanism that the stick is connected to, or a guide is missing?

Paul.

Originally posted by Paul R

33000 miles or so.

Your not getting me. The gearbox is fine....it seems like there is something missing from the shifter?? ie, the stick doesnt go into gear because it is too far to the right.

Paul.

You're right, I wasnt.. I deffo dont get that feeling :conf:

Paul, picture the scene first week of uk 6-speed ownership and i'm bombing along the A3 reach for 5th nothing doing:conf: go down for 6th again nothing there.......effect me shitting myself.

On the hard shoulder regain composure select first and off we go as if nothing had happened.

Only other time i had it was at the woodbrige top speed run when trying to get the perfect quick shift to 6th and it just wouldn't go in.

Basically i'd say its early ownership keeness, i tried to simulate the woodbridge incident and basically if you apply excessive force towards you the stick seemed to catch on something between 5th and 6th, you need to just remember to use minimal sideways force IMO.

Originally posted by Paul R

This pic is the best way to describe it!

Hmm, you put Monet to shame with that effort ;)

Sometimes you kinda climb into 6th, but I never get the sensation that I'm about to put it into reverse.. maybe as scooty said, its early days :)

Hmm, you put Monet to shame with that effort ;)

Sometimes you kinda climb into 6th, but I never get the sensation that I'm about to put it into reverse.. maybe as scooty said, its early days :)

sorry, it's difficult to describe! I've never felt like it was going into reverse, it does the same from fourth to fith as it does ffith to sixth.....ie, feels like it's going to far to the right?

Paul.

from 2nd onwards i find the gear changes are slick, but the sideways input required to ensure you hit 5th instead of going back into 3rd is minimal and in my experience forcing it right and up can cause the stick to get 'caught'.

I'd suggest when changing from 4th to 5th to try and imagine the path of your hand being only say 10-20 degrees off vertical rather than an actual across and then up motion.

Could be talking b*llocks but worth a try IMO

Only problem i had was 6th, thought this was knackered when i first got it as was trying to put 6th in at an angle, you think your gonna put it in 4th!! I got the hang of it though after a few days. Easy when you know....allthough i allways shit at 150mph when i put it in 6th at the Drag Strip!!!

haha :D

Originally posted by Paul Laing

Only problem i had was 6th, thought this was knackered when i first got it as was trying to put 6th in at an angle, you think your gonna put it in 4th!! I got the hang of it though after a few days. Easy when you know....allthough i allways shit at 150mph when i put it in 6th at the Drag Strip!!!

haha :D

Never realised that UK's went that fast :D ..... or was that KM's ??:cool:

Dude:flame Dev

Originally posted by Supragal

I let my mate drive mine. He tried to drop from 6th to 5th. Straight into 3rd. Nice.

Was this whilst the car was in its current state. Im picturing your mate changing gear in a non running stationary supe covered in dust in the back of a garage. Minimal damage i guess.

;)

Sorry Rosie, difficult to picture your P+J any other way at the moment.