The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why no Titanium turbos?

Scooter

Just curious, as titanium seems to be finding its way into various things for its strong yet lightweight qualities.

I'd of thought they'd allow for quicker spooling, something that the larger steel ones struggle with and i can't think of any problems, bar cost...........

hi supe thanks for asking,progress is being made, brackets all finished now, got the 2 check valves now one for charger output, one for turbo out put, i have been in touch with a company called demag(german i think) who can supply me an elecro clutch which is about the right size/torque,and still maintain balance at14000 rpm and they can make me it in 12volt, they usually do 24volt, (i saw "mr deano" the other day -he lives about 2 miles from me and showed him my charger,he seemed impressed) ive still got to fit a second intercooler to the l/h side -im passing charger air via this one, and turbo air via both, im waiting on an adaptor to be made from an oval shape(charger output flange)to round (pipe work) , i intend to connect it all up using flexi silicon/kevlar hoses

which are available,and can be used as hose lengths are all fairly short, ill stop now before i bore you too death :) you did ask

Guest Terry S

They are selling Iconel turbo's now, the rally boys use them as they last a bit longer when using anti-lag.

Titanium, isn't there a heat issue using it hot side of the turbo? Also Garrett are now selling turbo's with an Aluminium compressor wheel.

Guest Terry S

If thats the case Steve, why no titanium headers or down pipes?

I found this on a racing exhaust fabrication site

"Titanium is not recommended for high temperature applications

( > 1600º sustained ) like high pressure turbocharger or rotary engine exhausts"

Terry, you could be right actually. We use Titanium for parts of our burner becuse it is light, strong and can take higher specific point loads than equivalent steels.

However, I didn't realise we were talking about temps. of 1600 degrees plus! I thought car exhausts got to about max of 1100 when running high boost.

The mechanical properties drop radically much above 1200-1300 degrees dependeant on the composition of the material, thickness etc.