The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boo hoo Write off

far

As some of you know my babys gone to the supra graveyard in the sky.

On a straight bit of the M25(just passed clacket lane) doing a steady speed - not overtaking,and in 6th gear

The rain was quite bad and I either aquaplained (sp?) or hit oil / diesel I think.Strange thing is in my experience when I have aquaplained before you feel it on the steering whel first - this time there was nothing the back end just started sliding,tried to correct it but obviously not well enough.Hit the back end first then the car span 90 degrees hit the front end,did a spin and the car came to a stop.Loads of people stopped and we got out without a scratch on us.We all went to the hardshoulder and cars slowly went passed - it was pitch black with no lights one Ford Ka came flying passed and clipped the supe one more time for good measure - but we where out of the car by then - he braked hard and his front end is smashed up.

The shell of the supra is undamaged,the block is fine too but its a defo a right off.

gutted but glad me & Matt(my passenger) came out ok - I wouldnt have been able to live with myself if anything happened to him.

Please see members only section - I have a few questions:thumbs:

Thanks to all who have posted up in ashes thread earlier - I am very touched by your comments

far gutted for ya mate

you had rltc i think i remember any chance of getting it off the car?

sorry too be a volture,but would be interested if you can

cheers baldy

oh are you gona get another supra?

think you should if the insurance dont go tho the roof

Originally posted by far

Strange thing is in my experience when I have aquaplained before you feel it on the steering whel first - this time there was nothing the back end just started sliding,tried to correct it but obviously not well enough.

How much tread on the back tyres? When I 1st got mine the rears wore down a lot quicker than I expected :eek: :eek:

There is a section of the A1M just South of Peterborough when it was raining heavily even at a very steady 60MPH in a staight line the car felt on a knife edge, the back end was twitching badly. I had pretty good fronts and poor rears.

The fronts are 3 months old the rears are old but still legal.thanks for the kind comments everyone.

As for getting another soop - well I wasnt protected so looks like it will rocket my insurance beyond me being able to justify paying out the cash + I get married in May and buy a new house so not sure yet,will see what the insurance say.

Baldy - RLTC is getting taken out but I have already had a few offers - youre on 2nd refusal

Far,

What can I say mate. I'm absolutely gutted for you mate!!:(

It's good to hear you and Matt were okay, I did not even get to see your new Vielside kit on it yet.

I hope the insurers don't muck you about and pay you a decent price... I know what they can be like. The terms Blood and Stone come to mind.

I really am sad for you dude.:cry: I was looking forward to many more runs down from Redhill together...

If you need any help with anything, even if it's a lift around you just let me know.

Cheers and good luck

Matt B

Aww guys thanks for your kind words - I really have a lump in my throat reading all these kind words

TERMY - the rear tyres ARE Yokos which came stock from Japan - Yokohoma decibel DB's,may also have been a spot of diesel or something on the road,the strange thing is I wasnt giving it WOT and I wasnt on a bend and I wasnt even changing lanes.

Aquaplaning gives heavy feedback to the steering wheel as you enter the wet patch in my experience and the steering wheel goes heavy,this didnt happen the back end just started saling away out of the blue - maybe it was something mechanical that went wrong ? Who knows.

Im pretty sure they where Z rated but cant say for definate - im going to be going back to the Yard tommorow so will check - just hope the assesor isnt too picky and just mainly there to say the car is a write off and work out how much they are gonna pay.

gutted to hear about your accident far, dont accept your ins comps first offer, they allways try and rip you off!

insurance might not be as terrible as you think, if you had full NCB it'll go to 3 years, rather than you loosing the lot, even if you werent protected, this is like a 10-20% rise,

the real hikes come if you get any trouble with the law over the accident!!!! :eek:

Originally posted by albundy68

gutted to hear about your accident far, dont accept your ins comps first offer, they allways try and rip you off!

insurance might not be as terrible as you think, if you had full NCB it'll go to 3 years, rather than you loosing the lot, even if you werent protected, this is like a 10-20% rise,

the real hikes come if you get any trouble with the law over the accident!!!! :eek:

Thanks mate - well te police said they aint taking it any further,so hopefully with what you have said,I may still be able to get a supa sooner than I though,will see

Ash(W) - I know dude - its gutting - will be back at the meets real soon though (crosses fingers)

Originally posted by far

Aww guys thanks for your kind words - I really have a lump in my throat reading all these kind words

TERMY - the rear tyres ARE Yokos which came stock from Japan - Yokohoma decibel DB's,may also have been a spot of diesel or something on the road,the strange thing is I wasnt giving it WOT and I wasnt on a bend and I wasnt even changing lanes.

Aquaplaning gives heavy feedback to the steering wheel as you enter the wet patch in my experience and the steering wheel goes heavy,this didnt happen the back end just started saling away out of the blue - maybe it was something mechanical that went wrong ? Who knows.

Sounds to me like just straight forward aquaplaning on the rear axle. usually the fronts will aquaplane first, but if the rears were lower than the fronts (and you say they were) and with the Supra it's rear-light anyway, plus the rear tyres are wider than the fronts. Wider tyres aquaplane more easily than narrower ones. (Oh one thing - usually when the fronts aquaplane, the steering should get lighter not heavier, as essentially the tyres just in contact with a thin film of water, and not tarmac any longer so there's hardly any resistance on the wheel.

you'd only need to be giving it a little bit of throttle to push it over the edge on a wet road with low-treaded rears, and once a heavy car like the Supe is out-of-shape you have to be v quick to catch it. i'd imagine spinning on a wet motorway at night is a deeply scary experience !!

RLTC can't ADD traction, it can only use the traction available efficiently and if there's little tread on a wet road at speed then ...

Sorry to hear about this mate.

Brian (My other half, Soop Dogg on this site) wrote off our Supe recently. Still waiting to get the insurance sorted out.

Hooper (I think) on this site wrote off his 1995 TT with 120,000 miles on it. I think he got £12k back for it.

Hope this helps,

keep your chin up. We'll see you at a meet sometime this year when we get another car., if not we might bump into each other in the dealerships looking at prospective purchases!

:)