The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP i think i got a lemon.

The Raven

Ok folks please help me.

Test drove a brought a uk spec last night. All seemed well with no issues or lights coming on. This morning i took it out ..........o fuck

1. turbos dont seem to boost (this morning)

2. auto box is changing gear at 3k revs even when kickdown

3. From standing revs to 6k then splutters and slips down the revs before i let it go back to idle.

4. O/D light has come on and blinks at me.

I should add its not showing any engine warning lights while all this is happening however a stored 41 has shown up

Im not a happy bunny at all please help before i go back to the guys house which wont be good for anyone.

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would check for error codes first, the auto box could be someting simple, fluid levels ok??

When did the car last have a full service and with who?

Could an intercooler pipe have come off, that is worth a check as you dont mention smoke so could be a popped hose

Good luck

Zero smoke nothing...not even when its been sitting all night in the damp. edited my last to show the fault code i found

A service toyota 6 months ago

1. turbos dont seem to boost (this morning)

2. auto box is changing gear at 3k revs even when kickdown

If it's only changing at 3k the turbos won't have chance to spool will they? Sounds like a 'box issue to me, not the end of the world.

A service toyota 6 months ago

There's your problem:d

Hope you get it sorted anyway.

OK this is getting stupid.

Took it out it all starts working fine again. Kickdown vrooooooooooooooom. The for no reason goes back to changing at 3k and trys to stall on idle. So i rev to see what happens low and behold gets to 6k then dies slowly again. I leave it (running) then do it again and its fine revs all the way though. All this in the space of 8 minutes from working to broken. Still no engine warning lights coming on,temp is normal, zero smoke. O/D light no longer flashes

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

OK this is getting stupid.

Took it out it all starts working fine again. Kickdown vrooooooooooooooom. The for no reason goes back to changing at 3k and trys to stall on idle. So i rev to see what happens low and behold gets to 6k then dies slowly again. I leave it (running) then do it again and its fine revs all the way though. All this in the space of 8 minutes from working to broken. Still no engine warning lights coming on,temp is normal, zero smoke.

This sounds like you have water in your fuel from condensation in the tank ... was the car standing for a while before you bought it ??? Try just leaving it ticking over for about an hour to vapourize the water slowly....

This sounds like you have water in your fuel from condensation in the tank ... was the car standing for a while before you bought it ??? Try just leaving it ticking over for about an hour to vapourize the water slowly....

From the error codes thread thats a TPS (Throttle position sensor) fault which would cause most of those faults.

:blink:

Look like it was sitting for a bit but i drove the bugger 60 miles home last night with no issues. If its the tps shouldnt it stick the warning light on as its making me panic?