The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wiring Greddy boost gauge

Duffman

Mr Fish - i connected the red, black, orange to the back of the radio (just after the terminal block that inserts into the radio)

the only coloured wires i saw on the back out of all the above colours were red, black, orange (yellow was there but i didnt use it). There were loads of wires behind there coming outt he blocks.

I saw a white wire as well but I thought this was for speakers or something.

I started the car up without the hose connected and nothing happened...I was expecting it to maybe light up.

Have I fitted the wires in the correct location?

note i have fitted the red and orage both on the back of the radio where it comes out the terminal block)

Don't automatically assume that the colours will be the same as on the gauge.

The standard (ISO) stereo wiring is

Yellow - 12V Constant

Red - 12V Ign

In which case your gauge orange should go to the radio red and the gauge red goes to radio yellow.

Have you got the connection diagram for your radio that you can check against?

My radio is a Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB 52

Dont have the diagram unfortunately but im looking on net for it

I thot I wasnt to put the red and orange to the same source i.e. the radio

Has anyone got a Blaupunkt Head unit that they can supply me with the wiring diagram

Don't automatically assume that the colours will be the same as on the gauge.

The standard (ISO) stereo wiring is

Yellow - 12V Constant

Red - 12V Ign

In which case your gauge orange should go to the radio red and the gauge red goes to radio yellow.

Have you got the connection diagram for your radio that you can check against?

Connected the wires up again and still no joy

Red (Gauge) 12v constant - Yellow (radio) wire said '12v memory'

Black (gauge) ground - black (radio)

Orange (gauge) ignition - red (radio wire said '12v ign' take it that means ignition

White (gauge) illumination - orange (radio) wire said 'illumination'

Yellow - nothing

Then connected the t'piece in the correct position, started it up and nothing on gauge...although the engine was idling unusual and at lower than previous revs.

Removed all t-pipe connections i had fitted so it was back to normal and took it for a drive...it seemed to pull alot harder than before and im thinking that maybe i have f*ed up the boost.

Has anyone got any idea whats going on or if you are nearby i could come to you and you could perhaps lend a hand :)

Please someone give your knowledge

Edited by Duffman (see edit history)

so all the connections are good yeah? you havent got a dodgey ground or anything? on my headunit yellow was always ignition and red was live....the 12v memory sounds a bit odd tho...

did you try it with your lights on/off...as when you turn them on, it will illuminate and vice versa....sorry if im making you sound silly..but the gauge isnt going to be moving when your idleing/not driving..

also have you got a pic of the back of your HU, where you have connected it up? may help :)

Edited by Mr. Fish (see edit history)

"12v memory" just means that it's permanently live to keep the radio settings etc in memory. It's why you have to reprog your radio if you unplug the battery.

yeah found that out 2day cheers mate

its all wired up correctly but still not even lighting up never mind the needle moving...think it may either be the Data Link Unit (grey box) or the gauge itself.

Gut i bought it off is sending me another DLU so i can see if thats the problem...if not then its the gauge itself.

Also when I connected everything up correctly i.e. wiring and all hosing...I and started the engine and it did not sound very smooth at all when on idle...does anyone know why this is...sounded as if it were gonna cut out was hardly any revs

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bring this back but what is the purpose of a 12v constant source for a boost gauge? Mine (not greddy) says I need to wire the red to a switched source (ignition) and the yellow to a constant source... would it cause problems connecting both Red and yellow to a switched source?

Sorry to bring this back but what is the purpose of a 12v constant source for a boost gauge? Mine (not greddy) says I need to wire the red to a switched source (ignition) and the yellow to a constant source... would it cause problems connecting both Red and yellow to a switched source?

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge can answer this one but yeah i'm pretty sure it would cause the gauge to work incorrectly.

Think it might be something to do with the gauge switching on when the cars switched on (switched source) and being able to light up when the cars off (constant source)

Great, that helps. Well I just wired the constant source wire to the yellow wire on the radio and everything works great. I noticed when I turned the ignition off the gauge had a shutting down sequence i.e did its stuff for a few seconds when the car was off :)

what is the purpose of a 12v constant source for a boost gauge?

Maybe it's to maintain a user adjustable warning level for the gauge.

A good source of power is at the radio power supply, yellow is permanent , red is ignition power.