The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just over a week to the track day - A great time to get a problem.

T2 MSW

Been down to Whifbitz today to get my front wheel bearings replaced - guys have done a great job and im very impressed :thumbs:

However on the way home I came across a slight issue with boost. Cant quite get my head round it and I need to look into it tomorrow. Just looking for sugestions at the minute.

The problem - On WOT on high boost (1.2 bar) the car feels like its cutting. Its exactly like the RLTC hard cut ever second but I dont think its the RLTC as ive turned it off. Im not saying its not as ive not got it on the laptop yet to check its not cutting. However if I turn the boost controller off so its back to almost stock boost then its all fine at 0.9 -1.0 bar.

Tomorrow im going to get the lappy plugged into the RLTC and record a high boost run just incase disturbing the front ABS sensors. Also going to check all the presure lines going to the turbos and Boost controller.

Anything else I can check?

p.s also well happy tonight as my turbo and manifold turned up - cheers Jay :D

• 3 weeks later...

Right ok, getting depressed with this now.

Changed all the plugs before the track day and then the coil pack clips at the track day (thanks to CW, who I still owe the money to for those!?) on the track day it looked like that sorted it but I only ran 1 lap on high boost before the brakes let me down.

So Ive changed the plugs and all the coil pack connectors and its still miss fireing or holding back at 1.2 bar. I have noticed that when the miss fire occurs there is an odd noise coming from the back of the car. Its possible its just the note from the exhaust when it cuts but to me it sounds like the fuel pump.

Does anyone have any advise on this issue as im running out of ideas besides just throwing £80 at a fuel pump and hoping it works before next weekend.

The fuel pump was replaced at the back end of last year when I went BPU but it is quite noisey - more noisey recently but im not sure if its just me trying to convince myself thats the fault.

The next problem is im in london all week so not going to get chance to either look at the car or get it to someone that can. Got a feeling next week is off before I have even got there :(

Any ideas anyone?

Have you had the fuel filter checked. If that builds up enough gunk it will reduce the flow and also make the pump work harder.

If its never been changed during your ownership get it looked at. Its a bit fiddly though so make sure who ever is going to look at it actually does. I have heard of cars coming back with a new fuel filter when none was fitted.

JB

It is something I had considered, and it was meant to have been changed before I got the car but I doubt it actually was. Is the fuel filter a job that can be done without the tank being drained? I assume its just the same as the pump and the lines need fuel taking out of them before?

Going to struggle to get it looked at this week though :( so that leaves me with friday night and sat at the pod.

Is the fuel filter a job that can be done without the tank being drained?

I believe so, however I'm told they can sometimes be a PITA to get off if the nuts have seized or something if I remember correctly?

Only docs I can find in the download section so far say "Relieve fuel system pressure prior to servicing any fuel system component"

As has been mentioned the only problem you can get with the fuel filter is if the nut on the fuel supply line from the tank has been over tightened. It can spread the flange so much that it's impossible to undo. However thats not the end of the world as the line can can be swapped easily, it's about £20 from Toyota and usually available within 2-3 days.

Hi Mike haven't read all the tread but could it be overfueling when underload.

Do it smell like it's running rich?

Is you fuel consumption high?

My was running rich and missfiring at high boost, leaned it off a bit and runs good again, better mpg and it doesn't stink the place out when if fire it up :)

Mine also misses if put underload without being at a good running temp.

Hope you get it sorted before Saturday

Gaz

If you have a Walbro' date=' check the sock filter. I've replaced mine twice over the years. Symptoms are noisy pump and high load missfire.[/quote']

can you get the socks on their own?

Hi Mike haven't read all the tread but could it be overfueling when underload.

Do it smell like it's running rich?

Is you fuel consumption high?

My was running rich and missfiring at high boost, leaned it off a bit and runs good again, better mpg and it doesn't stink the place out when if fire it up :)

Mine also misses if put underload without being at a good running temp.

Hope you get it sorted before Saturday

Gaz

Cheers Gaz

Its not smelling like its over fueling no not even from behind the car. Fuel consumption has not been noticable and its just strange how it started all of a sudden.

Sorry Mike if it was no help.

My overfuel occured as the map has been tweeked during the year

Are you still going to Suprapod Saturday?

I can hear my fuel pump making noises now seats etc. have been removed, you could have a listen and see if it's sounds the same.

I know my pump working ok as it can supply over fuel if required :D

It may help?

Gaz

Is there any way to test the coil packs? I dont want to go throwing money at them if thats not the issue - especially considering they are £100 each :)

Whifbitz supply them for £55 each and you can get a second hand set for around £70-100 (thats what i bought.) Not sure about testing though