The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crash - Another UK Spec bites the dust

Stevie72

Had a crash this morning.

Back end spun around on the exit of roundabout and did 2 360's and hit white van and was pushed onto the central reservation.

In short front quarter panel is damaged as is front bumper and headlight etc. The main problem would appear to be the rear which on inspection looks untouched, but the alloy and tyre are bent.

In short, Budget, underwritten by Fortis reckon it will be written off!!!! - Surely this car can be saved and have insisted that an engineer inspect and report back as to the costs. In short it was my mistake as i lost control (traction was off - which was my mistake).

I am thinking take the money which i would assume to be £5k plus (It's a UK TT Auto with SH and 135k on clock on an Aug 93 plate) and perhaps buy back to either see if i can repair or sell as parts?

What do you think it is worth and should haggle on..........such a shame as it's a lovely unmolested UK Spec and there aren't many left!!!!!!!!!!![sAD][/sAD]

PS on inspection when it was towed away, there does not appear to be any underneath damage, although until it is inspected you never know..

I do not have pictures as it's at insurers garage, but do have a few on camera phone, but you can't really see the damage that well - it really ain't that bad, but i suppose the issue is always cost/value, and not the fact that it's a car that has nearly exinguished from History!!!

Edited by Stevie72 (see edit history)

As i am fully comp, i believe the current strorage is covered until full inspection is made.

It was pretty foreceful in saying that i want it repaired, but as i am at fault, i am at the mercy of the insurers (i believe). If I were to get around £5k i think i would take it (although obviously not 1st offer).

I would also consider buying back, as i'm sure it could be saved, but yes i don't think really stripping it would be that easy and would be time consuming.

It really is a lovely little example (even considering its milegae) but at the end of the day is a piece of metal and i thank god that noone was hurt...

36 years of age and still learning how to drive!!!! That's the problem a moment in lapse of concentration and bang it's all over and it just swang out so quick, i don't even thing the Stig would have stopped it (mind you he probably wouldn't have got himself/herself in that situation!

Jesus, thats sounds scary! What speed was that at!! :taped:

I was accelerating from the roundabout and was changing up from 1st to 2nd in manual mode, so probably 40mph at the most. Actually probably must be more like 50mph as to spin like that, even in the wet was pretty harsh.

PS the road is national speed limit 60mph

Edited by Stevie72 (see edit history)

I imagine storage will be from day one, it would be at my repair shop.

As i am fully comp, i believe the current strorage is covered until full inspection is made.

It was pretty foreceful in saying that i want it repaired, but as i am at fault, i am at the mercy of the insurers (i believe). If I were to get around £5k i think i would take it (although obviously not 1st offer).

I would also consider buying back, as i'm sure it could be saved, but yes i don't think really stripping it would be that easy and would be time consuming.

It really is a lovely little example (even considering its milegae) but at the end of the day is a piece of metal and i thank god that noone was hurt...

36 years of age and still learning how to drive!!!! That's the problem a moment in lapse of concentration and bang it's all over and it just swang out so quick, i don't even thing the Stig would have stopped it (mind you he probably wouldn't have got himself/herself in that situation!

manu mode in wet ? 40/50 mph before changing up ?

Yes i can do over 40mph in 1st in an Auto, i beleive official is something like 45mph, and was changing up and it happend when the change was made.......don't know what speed exactly, but 1st was topping out, so probably over 40mph and yes i know it was wet and i confessed was a mistake

Well PIG, I may need your assistance Sir if they write it off!! If you don't mind.....

Perhaps a little business your way?? Could I take the liberty of PM you when i know more?

Anyway feeling the delayed reactions of accident, so a night cap and some ZZZZZ

Thanks to one and all for kind words.

Be safe, as even the most experienced and middle age people, make careless mistakes ----- just glad all are safe and that i've learned something i should already have known - LEAVE TRACTION CONTROL ON IN WET!

The surface must've been very slippy to spin twice. When you feel the back end slide out, don't take your foot off. This unloads the back end and you start fish tailing. Keep the power on and turn opposite lock and only when you're going straight and steady, can you relax.