The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi all. Newbie looking for advice

Guest Sam004

Hello everbody.

My name is Sam and i am looking for a Supra n/a manual to upgrade from my modifed Trueno. I have had a small experiance with a late eighties supra n/a manual and i liked it alot.

Basically i would like to know what to look for when i veiw one. I am a mechanic so basics are coverd but is there anything else that I need to be aware of? Also what are the day to day living of them like i mean things like feul consumption (i am not expecting much :D) and general driving. I am also only looking for a n/a at the moment as i think that anyting turbo'd is going to be running before you walk so to speak. I am aware of 5spd and 6spd variants but im not sure on wich models had VVTI and wich didnt. Oh yeah who would you reccomend for insurance?

Thanks in advance

Hi Sam, welcome to the forum. VVTI is available on later NAs, but they are quite rare, the vast majority you find will be non VVTI.

I'd recommend trying an auto as well as a manual, as I have found the auto to be a better eveyday car and many people swear by them. If you definately want a manual they tend to start at about £3.5K for something tidy. You shouldn't need to spend any more than £5-6k to get yourself a really nice one.

Check out these guides for more info:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Good luck with your search, J

I swore Id never have an auto but just take a test drive in one! I was converted by the experience. For 100% on the limit driving its not ideal, but when does anyone really do that? On a track?... Id totally get an auto. To be honest, apart from slipping the clutch to spin the wheels when you come away from the lights (without power braking and boiling the gearbox oil lol) theres no downside. Plus you dont look like a fanny!

Big plus vote for the NA auto's here. Obviously between an NA auto and a manual TT there'll be light years of difference, but between an NA auto and nothing, I wouldnt be put off by the slushbox.

I am happy with my 5-speed N/a, just take your time and find a good one.

You will yern for more power quite quickly thou.:(

If you are confident and can trust yourself to gain time behind the wheel before giving to much right foot ( remember the winter and wet roads are nearly her ), I would say go straight to a TT.

There isn't that much price difference anymore and if you are intending to sell the N/a in the near future, they are not always the easiest cars to sell at the moment ( nor are the TT's for that matter ).

Also remember running costs are higher for the TT, more regular services, tyres will proberbly wear much faster etc etc.

Which ever one you decide on, just take your time and find a good one ( the classifieds on here a good starting place, most will be looked after ), a bad one will be a bottomless bucket to poor your cash into.

O and if your intending to do Bhp mods, there is not that much you can do to an N/a and the vvti model's are a bit harder to get mods for apparently:blink:

Thanks for the advice guys.

However I still think that i want a manual as i work with a LOT of autos and i just dont take to them. I like to be in control of my machine.lol. A n/a is definatley on the cards as a TT might be a little to tempting to boot it without thinking. Saying that I did previously own a s14a 200sx and that was pretty lairy even in the dry :innocent:

Oh and good forum by the way. Still reading the stickys

I've had both and the n/a was bloody quick anyway, but both are a good daily driver, they can cope with trundling along at 20mph when needed so don't worry on that score, but na or TT they do like the petrol. and the biggest single problem with them are each and every bl**dy corsa driver who has to sit on your ar** because he/she thinks they are the bees knees. When you buy your supe get one of them electronic fly swatters ready for when they start annoying you. :D

Hi Sam. Where abouts in shropshire are you? There seems to be a growing number around here now. There are 3 or 4 of us from the shrewsbury area. Im sure the guys would be happy to meet with you and go through some options and take you for a spin. We are also convoying to Japshow on the 5th. There will be plenty of supras to see if you're interested:)

Hi Sam. Where abouts in shropshire are you? There seems to be a growing number around here now. There are 3 or 4 of us from the shrewsbury area. Im sure the guys would be happy to meet with you and go through some options and take you for a spin. We are also convoying to Japshow on the 5th. There will be plenty of supras to see if you're interested:)

Im from Shrewsbury too. :wave: I have probaly seen you as there is 3 or 4 nice supras knocking around

Excellant:) There are the 2 Jamies (magictorch and g-nemie) who drive silver TT's, steve, who doesn't get on here too much, who drives a black TT with Ridox front wings, myself (more oswestry way) with a black NA and a new member, bmxboy, with another silver TT:) Im sure we'll all be getting together again soon, you'll be more than welcome to join us Im sure:)

Excellant:) There are the 2 Jamies (magictorch and g-nemie) who drive silver TT's, steve, who doesn't get on here too much, who drives a black TT with Ridox front wings, myself (more oswestry way) with a black NA and a new member, bmxboy, with another silver TT:) Im sure we'll all be getting together again soon, you'll be more than welcome to join us Im sure:)

Cheers mate. There is a silver Supra with gold split rims that looks mint, round the corner from my house

You have probaly seen me about. I have a black Trueno with white wheels. You cant miss me as the apexi N1 usually drowns out shrewsbury :D

Cheers mate. There is a silver Supra with gold split rims that looks mint, round the corner from my house

You have probaly seen me about. I have a black Trueno with white wheels. You cant miss me as the apexi N1 usually drowns out shrewsbury :D

Typically he's not a member:d