The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blue smoke and clunky box

bennyc45

Im looking at buying a manual supra twin turbo this week (a choice between two) and wanted a quick bit of advice from other manual twin turbo owners.

1) There is a buying guide on here and briefly mentioned a puff of blue smoke on start up. What is the cause of this and more importantly how much will it be to fix?

2) Do they have a heavy clunky box as standard?

I used to have a twin turbo auto so have no experience of a manual.

Any help very much appreciated

Thank you

1) There is a buying guide on here and briefly mentioned a puff of blue smoke on start up. What is the cause of this and more importantly how much will it be to fix?

2) Do they have a heavy clunky box as standard?

Probably valve stem oil seals, a search on here will reveal costs involved.

Yes, the manual gearbox is well known for being a little clunky.

The getrag is a little notchy and feels like it came out of a world war 2 bus but it should feel positive. I had mine over a year and a half and i still missed the occasional gear.

A blue Puff on start would indicate valve stem seals and although annoying, the car will go on quite a bit.

The getrag is a little notchy and feels like it came out of a world war 2 bus but it should feel positive. I had mine over a year and a half and i still missed the occasional gear.

A blue Puff on start would indicate valve stem seals and although annoying, the car will go on quite a bit.

Yeh couldn't agree more! :D

If you see WHITE smoke on start up, that's nothing to worry about, that's just condensation from the exhaust but as said, BLUE smoke is the one you have to worry about...

It'll be expensive. There are two ways of fixing it. Either you find someone who really knows what they are doing and have the special tools needed to get the seals changed by just taking the cam covers off and having the nerves of steel to use pressured air to keep the valves from dropping into the engine...

...or you pay A LOT to get the top off (which means removal of turboes and a lot of other stuff from the engine), which is a bitch especially if you have the stock turboes on, and fixing the valve stem seals from there. The positive thing about this one is that you can get everything in there cleaned up.

If you are pondering about going single soon, it isn't so big a deal singe you will be disassembling a lot anyway. I got a quote on £500 for fixing the seals if the car was delivered with the top off. then you need to ad arox £200 for the set of seals (this includes all seals, not just the valve stems)

PS. bear in mind that blue smoke at startup can also be turbo seal. Usually this will result in a bit of blue smoke on most boost where VSS should only be smoke when you set off from a stop and the occational puff at startup.