The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking to try a bit of Fibreglassing

markybhoy86

As said, im looking to try and exeriment a bit with some fibreglass, i've had a look on the net for some sort of basic guide but havn't found anything that makes much sense.

anyone have any sites for the "idiots guide to fibreglassing" lol or even just the basics that they know, what materials etc i need what stages i go through?

cheers

M

p.s i have got a basic kit from halfords just for messing about with

Boot installs arnt hard but time consuming and messy! I would build a wooden box with 2 sides missing first that fits into you boot. Then make holders for your speakers your amp etc. Put them into you 'box' on wooden supports where you want you speakers to be then get a strechy fabric and place it over the 'box' and secure it down to the wood with a staple gun or something. This will give you following lines. You will then have to build up layers of fibreglass inpregnated with resin. When it dries this will be rock solid but rough. Put body filler over the whole thing and rub down till you gat a smooth finnish. Then paint it in you desiered colour job done!

basically i:

1-pick what i want my setup to look like,

2-make an outlike of it, cover it with strechy fabric secure it down,

3-put a few layers of hardener over it, cut out the holes, remove the excess (do i smooth it down??)

4-put the fibreglass on with more resin, few layers

whats after that? do i sand it down so its all even ?

i won't doing the boot as my first attempt lol going to try a few smaller things first before i start being brave :p

Right going to start making the basic frame tomorow, trying to sort out exactly what i need right now

i have the basic kit from halfords but that won't be enough so heres what i think i need so far feel free to correct me please:

Polyester Resin + catalyst

epoxy lay-up resin??

floewcoat resin (do i need this?)

glassfibre mat

glassfibretissue

gloves

brushes

rollers?

mask

stretchy fabric

files

staple gun

cutting tool i.e jig-saw

sanding tool?

wet-dry paper

MDF

Thinners

mixing tubs

is that all i need? heading out tomorow to get a few tools the rest i will order from the net.

Get plenty of gloves - wear two or three at a time so you don't waste time changing when they get messy. Getting the mix of catalyst to resin is an art too. You will learn with time. Very temperature dependant.

Get loys of little tubs to mix it in, once gone off just chuck the cup/container and go for another one.

Resin is heavy so use a little and use the roller to roll out air bubbles and spread the resin. There is so mush more but it would take forever to write, If you were closer I would come over and show you. You will need a stanley knife to cut the execess off from around - this can oly be done at a certain time during curing (too hard and it won't cut, too sofyt and it tears). Much easier to do this that leave it to hrden as it is very hard to cut once solid.

I could go on, but need to go bed :( Give me a pm if you want any help - I also have lots of matting, resin etc in my shed that I may not need any more.