The mkiv Supra Owners Club

keyless starting

paul_y3k

Originally posted by Matt B

I thought they had a safety system built in to stop that happening??? On the Clifford, it won't work unless the car is in neutral.

:)

Ask about remote start when my alarm wasplaying up and was told that the alarm had to be armed with the engine running so as you'd be out of the car with the engine running it had to be in neutral.

The old Intellistarts were only supposed to be fitted to autos but a few people did fit them to manual cars... In fact, I did once.

I remember sitting indoors, changing the battery in the remote control. As I was putting it back together, I heard a strange crunching sound outside. I had accidently pushed the start button on the remote, the car was in gear and had pulled itself forward about 10 feet... Through a bush and the fence separating my front/rear garden! The bush was right up to the windscreen! - Doh!

:stupid: Unfortunatly, that wasn't the only time I remote started in gear:stupid:

• 1 month later...

erm... but if you don't tell your insurance company and your car is stolen, won't they just invalidate the insurance? Wouldn't it be treated exactly the same as not declaring performance modifications? I've been lusting after those intellistarts for ages, but it seems crazy to go for the world's best alarm system and end up with a car that is basically uninsurable!!!

Has anyone with Intellistart told their insurance companies? If so, what was the response?

HUGE grey area...

Clifford advise us, (installers), to state that as long as its fitted with Thatcham approved alarm system, then the 'system' conforms to and exceeds Thatcham specification.

Now, as of this moment, I've NEVER heard of anyone being refused a payout due to accessories being fitted alongside a Thatcham approved alarm.

The whole thing came about when a document somewhere, (can't find it at the moment), stated that a Thatcham approved system is strictly only compliant in it's tested form and only with its tested/supplied components.

Strictly speaking, that means that even if you were to alter one of the programmable settings, (like passive arming, or silent chirps), then it is no longer a unit as tested by Thatcham.

In honesty, if you had a Thatcham approved alarm system installed by a reputable company with a certificate of installation, I think an insurance company would be on very shakey ground trying to enforce this if it ever went to court.

My car has every extra sensor available, dual sensitivity impact, inner and outer proximity, tilt and motion, glass tampering, internal volumetric sensor, it has anti-hijack activated, passive arming, disabled valet mode... If you were an insurance company would you ask me to make my car less secure? :innocent:

Originally posted by anthonyj

You never know with insurance companies - personally I don't trust them as far as I can spit them! After all, when I told them I put UK brakes on my J-Spec, they counted it as a performance modification which doubtless increased my premium

:cool: !!:cool: :cool:

They cant do that as its an original toyota product and a factory option available to people in japan who buy supras brand new,you need to get back to them and tell them dude.:thumbs:

Intellistart is brilliant, especially in the winter and also it confuses the hell out of people when you start it up and you are still in the pub/restaurant or something. People keep looking in the car to see where the person is hiding. PMSL especially with old people.......... new fangled technology!!!!

Its great but my neighbours always used to complain when I had the prelude coz it sounded too loud idling on the driveway in the cold winter morning.

I used to leave the heaters on when I parked up at night and it de-iced itself and was nice and toastie when I got in to drive off.I think the neighbours where just jeoulous as they where grafting cleaning ice off there windscreens in sub Zero temperatures while I finished off breakfast and watched them struggling through my window

*war and piece ends:D *