The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What do your neighbours think of your supra?

add heywood

Ive had my car for just over a week now. Considering ive only used my car about 2 days since Ive bought it Ive had 3 neighbours moan at me for it being too loud :innocent:

Im not the sort of person who starts it up at early moring / late night and revs the arse off it, but it is pretty loud getting it in/out the garage.

Just wondering if anyone else has had anybody moaning about the noise.

Never had any complaints, not even from the oap female mafia (she actually has admitted that she Loves the car, "a proper sports car" as she says) However, as this is a tight residential cul de sac, and i leave for work at night, i am Very light on the throttle when coming and going. Female oap mafia had the cops down some months ago, to the boy racer over the road with his Renault Loud Exhaust ! and deliberate lead foot.

As you say you keep a light foot and do your bit, they need to get a life....probably jealous of you.

I used to have a t-61 with nur spec (baffle removed). It was seriously loud. Nobody ever complained. However there is a bloke across the road who has an RS Turbo and a quite loud exhaust (around a nur spec with baffle in) and he comes back at 11pm every night. The rumble is actually very annoying when he leaves it idling.

For my next exhaust I will get something nice and quiet. Now I know how annoying a loud exhaust can be I wont be using one.

Perhaps Im getting too old for this ;)

Guest CoolsBlue

i had 1 person complain becuase i had to move mine at night, just told him it wasnt on purpose to annoy anyone. but he better get used to it, becuase i finish work at 1am;)

:D

The only complaint I've had was from the miserable old git who complains about everything and i mean everything;), had a letters form the council etc, but after talking to the council guy on the phone several times and inviting him to come and test the car, i think he realised what a sad old sod this guy is, i have an Apexi exhaust valve, so i don't upset anyone:)

Most of the time I don't speak to the neighbours, the woman next door is a little mentally retarded (genuine condition) and her brother isn't much better. We don't see the neighbours the other way very often as the hedge is quite high.

I wouldn't start the car during the hours when it may disturb anyone though.

The neighbours a few doors away did give me some funny looks after I fitted the Nur Spec. ;)

Funny you should mention this..

I have recently moved onto a modern housing estate, which is something new to me. A neighbour of mine commented on how loud my car is (double decatted single turbo with unbaffled nur-spec) and is there any need for it. I simply replied that yes the car is what it is however is there any need for your children to be so noisy and playing out in the street. Funny enough he hasn't mentioned it since :D

Funny you should mention this..

I have recently moved onto a modern housing estate, which is something new to me. A neighbour of mine commented on how loud my car is (double decatted single turbo with unbaffled nur-spec) and is there any need for it. I simply replied that yes the car is what it is however is there any need for your children to be so noisy and playing out in the street. Funny enough he hasn't mentioned it since :D

The normal whitty remark from you Ian

The sad old cow that moans about everything, she caught me on a very bad day once when getting the car out told her to shup up or i would run her over and said if tha did not work i would be back to burn her house down while she slept, strangly she has never spoke to me since:D

i had 1 person complain becuase i had to move mine at night, just told him it wasnt on purpose to annoy anyone. but he better get used to it, becuase i finish work at 1am;)

:D

I am fairly certain I'm wasting my time but here goes:

I work nights and I will tell you now that if you are good to your neighbours rearding the noise when you come home they will return the favour when you are trying to sleep yourself. If you treat them with contempt they will treat you with the same disreguard, and given that you will be asleep at 6-7-8am they will have more ammunition to legaly throw at you when they start up their lawnmowers, use power tools, get their dogs barking and their kids playing, oh and never under estimate how far the sound of a hammer can travel either.

My neighbour thinks ive gone skint, M5 then Evo 9GT then Supercharged Monaro and Now a 13 year old toyota supra.

The original, and the best IMO :)

I haven't had any problems with any neighbours since I moved (or previously come to think of it). The funny thing is though, that whenever I get home I always seem to be able to park in the same place every time, even though its a shared car park.

Its almost as though I've got a reserved space or something. Which is nice :)

Neighbours aren't too keen on mine (double d-cat, single, big exhaust, etc. etc.). I try to not rev it too much anywhere near the house though - it's just the letting it warm up and cool down bit where it rubmles for a minute or so. Although after taking them out in it they seem more accepting of it :)

it's just the letting it warm up and cool down bit where it rubmles for a minute or so.

TBH that would annoy me as there is no need for it imo.

Soon as i start mine i drive away in it asap, i even push it out the garage so i dont have to leave it running while i shut the garage door.

As long as you drive gently for the last few minutes on the way home there is no need to keep the engine running to cool down either.

Mines single and double de-cat... not sure what exhaust is on it but its stupidly loud- even on idle. The lady from next door came round about a year ago when i first got it and was asking if it had to be that loud (its not like i rev it up or anything) and i gave her a load of mumble jumble about the turbo and wastgate gasses etc...she looked sooo confused lol. a day later her husband pulls into the drive and shouts to me "listen to this!" he'd just bought a ferrari modena much to the annoyance to his wife...so no excuse to keep it quiet lol

No one has complained about mine. Even with the ultra loud BL on a single no one said anything, even though I live in a culdesac which kind of amplifies the noise.

That said, I've always been considerate, so never used the car early mornings/late night, never left it idling - just start and drive off and never revved it. A few of them even said how nice it sounded, even the 70 year old bloke next door!

A couple of them have loud bikes/cars and are quite good about it, when the chap with the bike comes home late at night he switches it off at the top of the road and coasts down. So all in all, I think if you treat your neighbours with respect and consideration, they'll treat you the same. (unless you have a neighbour from hell of course!)

TBH that would annoy me as there is no need for it imo.

Soon as i start mine i drive away in it asap, i even push it out the garage so i dont have to leave it running while i shut the garage door.

As long as you drive gently for the last few minutes on the way home there is no need to keep the engine running to cool down either.

I live not a stones throw from the dual carriage way. Having said that, they've recently installed speed camera's so they act as an "aide-memoire" to letting the car cool down a bit.