The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How does a TVR chimaera compare to a BPU supra

miko_supra

Badly, it'll break down, leak water into the interior, and maybe set alight. You won't buy another TVR afterwards, and you'll wonder why you bought one in the first place. Like 90% of TVR owners you'll say how it's "soulful, and sounds great" whilst you have it, but when it's sold you'll say "it was an expansive *hitbox, never again". IMHO.

Badly, it'll break down, leak water into the interior, and maybe set alight. You won't buy another TVR afterwards, and you'll wonder why you bought one in the first place. Like 90% of TVR owners you'll say how it's "soulful, and sounds great" whilst you have it, but when it's sold you'll say "it was an expansive *hitbox, never again". IMHO.

Sounds about right :)

Geez thats put me of getting a cerbera then:(

They will both eat a BPU to sixty, and be a bit quicker to the ton, after that the Supe will reel them in and pass them by 130 on the road.

They don't handle for toffee, if you have the big brakes then the Sierra items of the TVR will feel over servoed but week.

Remember though they will only have 230-270bhp they weigh 1100kg wet. Running costs will be reasonable, insurance and servicing is cheap for the performance but the chassis rusts like a bastard and the electrics are typicaly British and shit.

Sounds pretty much like a Single Supra then :D

Thanks for the replies...I suppose i would get the complete opposite opinion on a tvr forum :D. When people say the electrics are shite on these, what do they exactly mean? Do dials and what not just die?

I just fancy something different for the new year that has similar, if not better performance and good wow factor.

Thanks for the replies...I suppose i would get the complete opposite opinion on a tvr forum :D. When people say the electrics are $#@!e on these, what do they exactly mean? Do dials and what not just die?

I just fancy something different for the new year that has similar, if not better performance and good wow factor.

It's stupid things like the fan not cutting in, hot starting, windows not always working etc.

I must admit, before getting my supe I was considering a cerbera. But after looking at a few, and I mean a few. I quickly realised that to get a half decent one you need to spend at least £14k, and when I say half decent, it really is just that. The Cerbie v8's arnt very strong, very highly strung, very agressive cam profiles, so your looking at new cams every 20k miles or so, also the crankshafts are not very strong and have a tendancy to break without warning, service bills arnt all that bad, its just the ammount of serving it needs that put me off. The chasis needs protecting every 4 or so years, and that means getting the body off to do a proper job, outriggers are also a weak spot (on the chim) and electrics woefull. Most good cerbie owners have had the engine rebuit at least once, at the cost of around 5k, and thats only really good for 50k miles before more costly servicing bills. Oil changes are around every 2-3k miles, you really need to have alot of cash to play with, and a lot of patence. I have neither...so opted for the supe....and then crashed it...but hey ho

Have you not thought of a Griff 500? simular to the chimera but looks much more aggressive and has a shorter wheelbase.

no major problems with mine and my old man has had 2 tivs over the last 15 years with out a single problem. I find that 90% of people who have problems with them abuse them and expect them to take it.

Have you not thought of a Griff 500? simular to the chimera but looks much more aggressive and has a shorter wheelbase.

no major problems with mine and my old man has had 2 tivs over the last 15 years with out a single problem. I find that 90% of people who have problems with them abuse them and expect them to take it.

The ones with the rover v8s are generally ok, that includes the giff.

its the AJP 4.2 and 4.5 that can give the troubles out, also the speed six has a bit of a rep too

I had a race with one the other day, he couldn't lose me in a flat out drag race, tho unsure if the ceb was running right, loadsa backfiring on overrun as he was baiting me into a race. not sure of the speed we reached, because I have the 112mph speedo. but have found out that I have no speed limiter as 10 secs after backing off completely my speedo was still stuck off the clock. ' bang for buck' the supra wins hands down, and in my opinion also for aesthetics

I had a race with one the other day, he couldn't lose me in a flat out drag race, tho unsure if the ceb was running right, loadsa backfiring on overrun as he was baiting me into a race. not sure of the speed we reached, because I have the 112mph speedo. but have found out that I have no speed limiter as 10 secs after backing off completely my speedo was still stuck off the clock. ' bang for buck' the supra wins hands down, and in my opinion also for aesthetics

it was running fine they pop and bang like a good un, one of the reasons people buy them :) Getting the Tuscan decatted and that should spit flames on gear changes. Childish I know.

The AJP8 engine is actually quite a solid engine, better made than the Speed 6 engine and a lot of the problems have been fixed. Dot be put off by the Speed 6 the parts have come a long way over the 8 years and as long as its had a rebuild after 2003 then it should last as long as it is treated with respect (like dont go over 3000rpm unless oil temp it 70c+) and oil is checked after each run. The problem the speed 6 unit has is a lack of oil to the top end on start up and when idling hot. This of course causes the figure followers to ware more than normal and so they need replacing occationaly. Like most things you can buy upgrades. There are now cam covers with oil spraybars that spray oil onto the followers before start up as well as bigger oil pumps to deal with the low pressure. Racing Green has also just developed a new top end that uses buckets and not fingers, plus they have re done the oil ways.