The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ebay Intercooler

Carl

I am looking at buying one of these Intercoolers for my J-Spec TT as my Side Mount has seen better days and I cannott afford at this time to pay out £500 for a CW version as nice as it is.

These are meant to be a direct fit with all pipework.

Im assuming some minor bumper trimming will be needed though.

Can anyone who has fitted one of these let me know how easy it was to fit and what adjustments were needed to get it in.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350099424687

Carl

well I hear mixed reviews of these intercoolers.

I had one on my previous car which was a Rover coupe Turbo.

The intercooler was down as a large hybrid plate & bar design and i payed similar money.

My Rover was running 400bhp at 1.8bar and it coped fine with that.

Im sure the more efficient intercoolers would have the endtank inlet/outlet placed better than at the bottom of either end but to be fair it did work ok.

As often mentioned, the FMIC do block free flowing air to the radiator which is the main problem, although I found a surprising amount of air did pass through the intercooler to the radiator. The key is to block around the intercooler to push as much air through it rather around it through gaps etc.

A larger radiator is also worth while as this helps to ofset the reduction of cool air to it.

The other fine art seems to be positioning of how close the FMIC sits to the Radiator as too far cause pressure drops, less air passing through, too close you get heat passing from one to the other. Im not an expert here and built my last car from trial and test but it did work well in the end.

Carl