The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Window Tinting - New Legislation...

Matt Harwood

Window Tinting - Amendments to Legislation

During the early part of 2004, Section 32 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations will be amended to include “Window Tint Films”, where such materials attached to the glass are capable of reducing the Visible Light Transmission of forward windows to below prescribed levels. These changes will be back-dated to become applicable from 1st January 2004.

This will effectively ban virtually all tinted films fitted to windows forward of the B-Post on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads.

The reason for these changes is the recent proliferation of vehicles that are excessively tinted. Some vehicles may be so heavily tinted that they present a real danger when used on public roads. The action being taken by the Government follows a fatality that occurred recently where a heavily tinted car was involved in a collision with a motorcycle and the window tints were held to blame due to the vision of the driver being impaired.

There is however, a recognised difference between “light window tints” which may be considered safe for road use and “excessively dark window tints” which are not.

There has also been a great deal of debate in recent years about the legitimacy of window tints that do not obscure the vision of the driver. A clear case has been argued that road-safe window tints do not actually conflict with existing regulations. The Department for Transport have argued however that Section 32 was always intended to cover materials attached to the glass, despite the fact that no mention of this is made in the Regulation itself.

The only solution remaining would be to amend the Legislation.

Consequently and in order to clarify the situation, the Government have finally decided to up-date the Regulations to specifically include Tinted Films since, in the view of the Police and the Department for Transport, this is the only way in which the problems of excessive tints can be remedied.

Unfortunately however, even tint films that may be considered to be safe for road use will now be viewed as in conflict with the Regulations, enabling the Police and Vehicle Inspectorate to take action against vehicle owners.

This has significant implications for the owners of vehicles that have window tints already fitted and also those that are responsible for installing or selling window tints.

Implications for the vehicle owner

After much discussion, a sympathetic Enforcement Policy has been agreed between the Department for Transport and The Glass and Glazing Federation to ensure that all vehicle owners that have had tints applied in the past may be dealt with fairly. This applies in particular where the infringement is with respect to tints that do not pose a significant threat to Road Safety, despite being in contravention with the amended Regulations.

In any event, after the date of the amendment to Section 32, the owner of a vehicle that has window tints applied forward of the B-Post could be challenged by either a Police Officer or by an Inspector from the Department for Transport’s Vehicle Inspectorate, where their vehicle is noticed being driven on Public Roads.

Where such a vehicle is stopped and the window tints applied are such that the Visible Light Transmission level, when measured using an approved device falls to below prescribed levels, the following enforcement guidelines have been agreed with, and recommended, by the Government.

Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less Severe Window Tints)

The owner or driver of such a vehicle would be required to have the tinted film removed from the windows under the direction of either a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice. A period of grace will apply for a limited number of days (normally ten) during which time the vehicle may be driven whilst the rectification work is to be completed.

In either case, the vehicle will need to be inspected by either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Officer to confirm that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. Prosecution is unlikely in such circumstances provided the vehicle owner complies fully.

Action that needs to be taken

All Businesses that have supplied window tints forward of the B-Post are being encouraged by the Government and the Glass and Glazing Federation to contact all of their previous customers to inform them of the changes to Legislation and to offer them a chance to have their vehicle rectified by having the front tints removed.

I got this from Pentagons website. As yet, neither us or our tinting company, (Toad Securfix/Tint Technology), have had anything official to inform us of this, but I'm sure it'll come sooner or later...

I love our government! :mad:

That's terrible news - so I basically might have to remove the tints on the front windows and make my car look stupid :( I can see perfectly well out of mine as I only have a light smoke finish but by the sound of it that doesn't matter anymore :(

hey everyone, lets all stop and point at the illegal car - there is no hope for me now with tints and a slightly smaller front plate :mad:

They get more like Nazi's by the day :twak:

Bugger, and not I guess. Mine came over from Japan tinted, quite dark too as I struggle to make out cars in the rear view sometimes. But this tint is only on the rear window and rear small side windows. I like this as it makes it real hard to see in the back/boot for thieves etc. However my fronts are still normal, and I was gonna get them done in light smoke. Guess this has just saved me some money - and put Matt out of a sale :p ;)

Way I read it, is if its already been done it just needs to meet that 30% criteria when tested by an officer.

In any event, after the date of the amendment to Section 32, the owner of a vehicle that has window tints applied forward of the B-Post could be challenged by either a Police Officer or by an Inspector from the Department for Transport’s Vehicle Inspectorate, where their vehicle is noticed being driven on Public Roads.

Where such a vehicle is stopped and the window tints applied are such that the Visible Light Transmission level, when measured using an approved device falls to below prescribed levels, the following enforcement guidelines have been agreed with, and recommended, by the Government.

Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less Severe Window Tints). The owner or driver of such a vehicle would be required to have the tinted film removed from the windows under the direction of either a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice.

Think I read that right?

:conf:

I don't like the half done look. From quickly reading that it appears the rears can be as dark as you like its just the front windows that have to be 30%.

I was thinking about getting mine done soon but was a bit worried about visibility at night. If its going to cause a lot of hassle I probably wont bother now.

I bet there are lots of happy window tinting companies now!

Still plenty of work available from limousine companies.

I think I side with the police here, especially after what happened up the road here a few weeks ago ( the copper shooting in Leeds).

If I was stopping a lairy car, I would want to able to see inside it as I approached from any angle.

We went through all this with tinted visors on bikes! FFS why not just say its because we want to see who's inside not the bolloxs about safety.

Err Sunglasses anybody!

We the blairs wish to inform all sunglass wearers that it is now illegal to drive with them on. Please return your glasses to Boots where the tint can be removed. We will not be liable for the burning out of your retina!

Thankyou

God

Guest The Flash

:) :) :) Sorry - Hi Jack Alert :) :) :)

Matt - trying to PM and cant get through. If you read this - would like to order the Sony Unit.........

Again - sorry everyone else for the blatant intruding - although I was planning on some tints for my Motor, but dont personally like the half finished look - so thats some money saved for another day!!

Flash

I can see where they're coming from with this law. My car had heavy tint on the rear hatch and the little lights behind the B pillar. I have to admit I could'nt see jack out the back, even in the day. I had the hatch tint removed and I feel a lot safer. I'll take the tint away from the rear lights when I get around to it.

Originally posted by HISUPE

Bugger, and not I guess. Mine came over from Japan tinted, quite dark too as I struggle to make out cars in the rear view sometimes. But this tint is only on the rear window and rear small side windows. I like this as it makes it real hard to see in the back/boot for thieves etc. However my fronts are still normal, and I was gonna get them done in light smoke. Guess this has just saved me some money - and put Matt out of a sale :p ;)

sounds like you're exactly in the same situation as me, my car also came from jap land with dark tints at the rear view, i also struggle to make out cars in the rear too, quite annoying sometimes in the dark, especially if you are wondering if the car behind is an undercover cop car!

unfortunately my fronts are normal and i was going to get them tinted at sextons this friday while i had my a pillar and gauges done.

Originally posted by osso

quite annoying sometimes in the dark, especially if you are wondering if the car behind is an undercover cop car!

Thats it exactly, in the dark you can only really see the lights, and its a bit hard to check for undercover as you say! Still, prefer with than without so guess its a small price to pay!