The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Officially trading (Suspension bush replacement)

miko_supra

I'm afraid I can no longer offer this service. Mike

Thanks for all those who voted for me!

Im offering a suspension bush replacement service.

Replacement bushes can be picked up for as little as around £250 for the entire car. The price a garage will charge is uncertain as these are notoriously difficult bushes to remove due to their complexity, especially on the wishbones, poly bushes are also much stiffer so require more work to fit. Some places have even refused to fit them.

There are two ways in that i can do this for you. Either you drop the car off with me and i can remove all of the control arms myself and refit them with new bushes. Or you can post me the control arms and i can have them sent back to you within 1-3 days of recieving them.

If any of you’re ball joints are knackered, then I can source replacement arms either brand new or used ones from salvaged vehicles (new arms are expensive, 1 rear upper wishbone costs around £200.) The mileage of when ball joints start to go is uncertain, I've had cars with around 90,000 miles and the ball joints are still in good condition.

Another nice option is to have the control arms sandblasted and sprayed, to protect them aswell as looking nice and new. I can also clean up and paint the subframe assemblies aswell as the differential and drive shafts

The benefit with doing this rather than taking them to a garage is that it will only cost you one low fixed price regardless of how long it takes me.

I can supply the bushes or you can supply the ones you want. I usually use r2 bushes from mvp, or powerflex…

Please PM me for a qoute:

Services profided...

-Entire bush removal and refit

-Removal and refit of all control arms

-Spray arms in silver

-Spray arms in black

-Paint subframes

-Paint Differential and Drive shafts

-Paint brake hubs (High Temp Paint)

I work near both Heathrow and Gatwick so if you are near by i can collect or you can drop them off to save on postage

Once fitted, the bushes should be allowed to settle for a few hundred miles and then have a full geometry set up. I know of "Wheels in motion" or "AFR," which are both good.

Example of a rear upper control arm…

Shotblasted…

http://xs224.xs.to/xs224/08073/005upperarmlhs396.jpg

Painted

http://xs224.xs.to/xs224/08074/008freshpaintedparts831.jpg

http://xs224.xs.to/xs224/08074/009freshpaintedparts897.jpg

http://xs224.xs.to/xs224/08074/009freshpaintedparts897.jpg

(subframe doesnt need to be out to replace these)

New bushes

Bushes installed

Why replace the the bushes?

As these cars are getting on 15 years old the stock rubber bushes perish (usually visually noticable by cracking of the rubber.) This can cause uneven tyre wear, sloppy handling and wheel hop as it allows the suspension components to move around more than they should.

(More pics on post 3)

Edited by miko_supra (see edit history)

Would it be worth you offering a supply and fit service?

How do you mean exactly? I can supply the bushes if needed

Recent customers rear subframe done...(all new bushes, including differential bushes, all painted and looking sparkling :D)

Before shots when it arrived...

Progress...

Completed...

Edited by miko_supra (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
this is very good news as i was intending on swapping out suspension components in the new year. Have you had any problems with the r2 bushings? do you have to keep them greased up to stop them perishing over time? this was a problem i was advised on regarding poly bushes but have no experience of it personally.

Never heard about keeping them greased. But i do apply a gel lubricant (which is usually supplied by the manufacturer) all over the outside of the bushes on the faying surfaces.

I have a couple of big jobs over the winter, one of them being removing all of the control arms front and rear, so i'll be doing a detailed write up on that.

How much to do all the bushes, supply and fit???

All the front (I can do the steering rack and anti-roll bars so just the lac's upper and lower both sides) and the rear lca and trailing arms on both sides.

Oh, it for a Soarer but the suspention is the same, the OEM bushes are different with cut outs in for more comfort. After the R2 bushes.

Ta muchley!

How much to do all the bushes, supply and fit???

All the front (I can do the steering rack and anti-roll bars so just the lac's upper and lower both sides) and the rear lca and trailing arms on both sides.

Oh, it for a Soarer but the suspention is the same, the OEM bushes are different with cut outs in for more comfort. After the R2 bushes.

Ta muchley!

For all of the bushes, front and rear it is approximatly £250 at todays exchange rate. There would also be import tax, and postage on top of that.

For me to remove the old bushes and fit the new ones, would cost £144.

So the whole job should cost no more than £500

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Miko,

I think mine are in need of replacing, im not sure if they have been done or not but there are thuds when i go over potholes, speed bumps (i hate those!)

Is the likely cuplrit these bushes need replacing? Im guessing so.

Thing is im not very technical at all, and live in Chesterfield in Derbyshire!

Would you be able to do the car if i dropped it off at yours, how long would it take to do is so?

Cheers pal.

Hey Miko,

I think mine are in need of replacing, im not sure if they have been done or not but there are thuds when i go over potholes, speed bumps (i hate those!)

Is the likely cuplrit these bushes need replacing? Im guessing so.

Thing is im not very technical at all, and live in Chesterfield in Derbyshire!

Would you be able to do the car if i dropped it off at yours, how long would it take to do is so?

Cheers pal.

Sounds more like your shocks

Ah does it?

Trying to source a local 'enthusiast' mechanic to take a look, Creative has a mate in Barnsley who works for Toyota, hes gonna ask him if hes ok to have a look at the car.

ill get him to check them if he says yeah.

Cheers for the advice!

Foz.

this does look pretty tempting, i have been thinking about doing a bit of a "hybrid" refurb of the suspension, buying new top arms with the ball joints in and new drop links from Toyota and then refurbing the lower arms to keep the cost down, anyone have any thoughts on this, would it be ok to mix different grades and after hearing all the stories of the ride quality of PU bushs what is the best one to keep it as near to stock, i dont mind a little harsher but definately dont want crash bang wallop, the car does enough of that as it is :eyebrows:

this does look pretty tempting, i have been thinking about doing a bit of a "hybrid" refurb of the suspension, buying new top arms with the ball joints in and new drop links from Toyota and then refurbing the lower arms to keep the cost down, anyone have any thoughts on this, would it be ok to mix different grades and after hearing all the stories of the ride quality of PU bushs what is the best one to keep it as near to stock, i dont mind a little harsher but definately dont want crash bang wallop, the car does enough of that as it is :eyebrows:

I replaced mine with R2 bushes, and didnt notice a change in ride comfort at all. It probably is a harder ride, but as i dont drive the car that often i couldnt remember what it drove like before hand.