The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Well ive found out why my turbos went pop.

hodge

These have just been rebuilt a thousand miles ago.

I normally run these at 1 bar for everyday driving but decided to wind them up abit 1 warm saturday night (there hybrids)..

I turned the boost controller up by 20%, the car seemed a little quicker but the gauge only seemed to move a very small amount.

Slowly I increased it upto 60% reaching 1.25 bar but the car felt really quick for 1.25 bar. Anyway on the second run thats when I heard the wine of death.

After abit of investigation I found the digital boost gauge on my turbo timer peaked at 1.76 bar.

Then it dawned on me. Oh my god. I have recently had my dash painted and I have an 80mm defi boost gauge in the air vent. When I stripped the dash the gauge fell on the floor. it wasnt damaged but for some reason must have damaged the insides hence it was reading too low and then pop.

So new turbos required unfortunately.

Im just gona go for stock J-spec turbos until I decide what im gona do. Either will keep the car and go single next year or considered selling it and buying an aerotop and doing a single conversion on.

Ive set my boost controller loads of times and know the limitations of the turbos but can you believe the boost gauge was reading wrong.

TBH 1.76 bar was QUITE EXCITING hehehe, like you said while it lasted.

To be honest the cars starting to wear me down. Ive rebuilt almost the whole car.

Ive had some good times doing it and the looks and comments were well worth it but like I previously said I dont know wether to get another 1 and start again.

Watch out for my whats it worth thread soon and please be gentle.

You were lucky mate, at that boost level you could have easily lunched the whole engine.

Yeah, that would be my first concern, it'll be detting it's t*ts off at that sort of boost level (been there, whoops!)

If you did some long runs i'd get a leakdown test done on it, just to make sure the pistons haven't started eating themselves.

Not good mate, sorry to hear that!

It's so fustrating when something goes wrong that is 'easily prevented' - subject to you knowing about it! (If you see what I mean)