The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Second Thoughts!!

Guest WullieC

!!HELP!!
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_shock.gif

Im starting to look at Nissan 300ZXs instead of a Sup, for some reason they are appealing to me

they are really cheap to pick up compared to a Supra and the insurance is cheaper as well :blink:

its most like likely because my mate had one, he has had some stupid quick cars in his time but the 300 was the only car to scare him with its speed, anyone have experiences with them?

advise for/against, whats better and why?

i realise this is a SUPRA owners club but hey :p

:shock: Get out!

;)

:(

If you want something that feels scary fast buy an MR2 turbo. 300zx's are very lardy, much like the supra, without having the supra's refinement. Every now and then i go out in my wifes MR2 and it really keeps you awake.

The supra's interior is far better along with the more modern look of the car and from what i can determine the dash isnt out of a 747 :blink:

unlike the 300

Wallet emptier. Even compared to a Supra. ;)

ahh rite, it was the only grip my mate had with the car (well that and that GODDAMMED HICAS)

i wouldnt say they empty the wallet anymore than a supra, its all down to getting a good one as any other car!!

looks wise i prefer the 300zx as its a more classic design, i must admit i love the 300 dash and hate the big slab of plastic supra dash but as people have said the supra is more refined and better built and much easier and cheaper to tune if thats the route you want to go down!!

i know of a few decent 300's around if you want a pointer including in my opinion the best one in the country which can be yours for around £12k ish and around 600 ponies ;)

Mike

I was looking at a 300z when I bought my soopa- I spoke to a lot of people who are 'in the know' (mechanics and such) and was told quite simply they are a liability. The design of the engine bay (really low bonnet) means the clearances to get at anything when it needs fixing means pulling the engine for even the most simple of tasks, and this is compounded by the fact that the VG30 engine isnt the most reliable engine in the world either.

I went and looked at a few 300's and straight away looking at the engine I knew what I had been told was right- you can barely slide a sheet of paper between the arches and the motor...Next time your looking at one have a look at the engine bay, and imagine changing an exhaust gasket or starter motor- you have to pull the motor.. which means paying to pull it out, fix whatever needs fixin' and payin to put it back..usually costs more to do that than it does for the parts involved and the labour to fit em would normally be.. just my 2c worth but thats why i stayed away from them, and on top of that the few I test drove had the worst change on the boxes I have ever felt- really loose stick but notchy change.. anyways to cut a long story short I love the soopa' and two mates bought 300's and have spent bulk cash tryin to keep em runnin...let alone tryin to get any power out of them - although one of these guys has got it to 380bhp but it now has problems melting things under the bonnet because of the tight clearances...

Hope this helps- however they are a lovely looking car...

LOL

yes its tight in the engine bay but dont be silly, you dont have to pull the engine to do everything but yes you do have to pull the engine to change the turbos and obviously do a rebuild but apart from that everything can be dont insitu.

as i said there as good as any other 10 year old plus jap car, find a decent one thats been well maintained and you can have many years of motoring.

thanks guys, tbh i never though about the difficulties with the engine, but the sup doesnt exactly have lots of space in the bay either?

although to be fair its not as shoehorned as the V6 in the 300