The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New rules for road tax applications

garethr

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/280808_09.aspx

From the 1st of September 2008, those buying their vehicle tax online, by phone or by post will be able to legally continue to drive their vehicles for up to 5 days while they wait for their new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply where the new tax disc has been applied for before the current one expires and motorists should continue to display the expired disc on their vehicle, until the new one arrives. This will be of great benefit to those motorists who have to leave buying their tax disc until the last day of the month, because they are waiting to be paid. They can now still do that, but also get the benefits of taxing online, by phone or by post.

In addition, motorists are now able to buy their vehicle tax disc from the 5th day of the month that their current disc is due to expire in. Previously, discs could only be bought from the 15th of the month. DVLA has introduced this new procedure following feedback from the motoring public, which has shown an increasing demand, especially since the advent of electronic vehicle licensing, for motorists to be allowed to re-license earlier in the month.

• 1 year later...
Its my only option really.

Due today and I've gone and lost my INS document :(

if you do it online mate u won't need it, they just check the database to make sure u have insurance and MOT...

technically it is offence to not display but they would have to be a real arse to charge u for it, as it would show as taxed when running ur plates through the system....

...technically it is offence to not display but they would have to be a real arse to charge you for it, as it would show as taxed when running your plates through the system....
Some of them are, though (recent thread on Pistonheads). I'd at least print the confirmation e-mail and keep it in the car/on the dash. Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Once when I went to tax a car, I found the last 6 month tax disc still stapled to the last v11. So I had been driving taxed but not displaying for 6months - got away with it though. Cant believe I did that much mileage without someone spotting it - is it possible that there are actually some decent people in those blue suits?!

Once when I went to tax a car, I found the last 6 month tax disc still stapled to the last v11. So I had been driving taxed but not displaying for 6months - got away with it though. Cant believe I did that much mileage without someone spotting it - is it possible that there are actually some decent people in those blue suits?!

Nope. All traffic wardens are Nazis.

But I'm sure they go home in the evening after a very satisfying day's work. Gits.