The mkiv Supra Owners Club

to upgrade to TT or be happy with NA ?

jihwaan

hey guys, here is my scenario-

I currently have a very nice silver 94 NA with 70k kms on it (silver, kit, 19" deep dish wheels, nice stereo, white gauges and few other bits)..

I have just got this car looking how I want it (except for my TS CF bonnet and trial rear bar which are on order- should have em in a few weeks..)

Anyways I want a late model manual TT (97-'02) in either silver , blue or black with the exact same mild cosmetic mods I have on my NA but I also want an aerotop (I know I aint gonna get that in a late model TT as they were only made until may 95). I have only found one aerotop TT (95) so far but its white and I dont want white (or red or green).- I know Im a picky b@stard hey...

So herein lies my problem should I just put my bonnet and trial bar on my NA and be happy or should I buy a TT and swap everything over (thus probably incurring painting costs on the kit as I doubt I'll get the same silver colour TT to just swap it all)..

Im thinking I should *maybe* just keep my NA for now and keep looking, if something amazing comes up Ill grab it, but for now I should be happy with what I have?

The worst part is my fiance is all for me getting a new soop if "thats what I want" (quote)

so my dilemma is two fold, should I search for a TT aerotop and just deal with an auto and the fact it wont be a newer one (and the fact I will probably never find one in the right colours, should I just go the late model TT route or should I just keep the NA...

I know I have to decide this myself but any advice and opinions are appreciated as I have been trying to figure this one out for a couple of months now..

Bear in mind changing up to a nice 99 TT will set me back about 5 grand (GBP) then there is the problem of mods... and if I keep the nA and keep looking around should I fit the bonnet and bumper or just put them in the shed til I get a new TT?

sorry for the long winded post but I really would like anyones advice on what they would do...or what you think I should do

Personally I think the fact all the cars are getting on now shouldn't stop you getting the model you want.

Supe's go to 2002. Still over 6 years old.

I'd save for a good TT aero. Sod the colour, put your new bonnet and bits on it, but don't take parts off existing car, sell it as it is.

You may find that there are other body bits out there that you'll like more. :)

thats just it, I dont know ...I want the aero but it has to be TT ... and coz the aero's are all autos its a toss up between the aero and the manual...but TT aero's are as rare as hens teeth over here, and I have been looking in japan and havent seen one aero TT in over two months of looking..

Thanks Andy for your opinion, that is the way Im leaning... anyone else care to weigh in with what they would do?

just took my 1993 mk4 n/a supra into the garage last week, getting a full TT Conversion with bpu, new engine has only 30k on it from a 2002 supra, and the body shell of my car is outstanding, not one bit of rust,TT conversion only payed £4,500 thats with labour included, along with greddy intercooler, boost control, hard pipe kit, turbo ecu and turbo gear box etc...

Hey guys- thanks for the advice...I wasn't even considering the TT upgrade, just figured it would be better to change to a TT.. Now Im beginning to consider that option also

If I did the upgrade I would want the motor, box and diff- anyone know if it all bolts straight up? Ill go aftermarket brakes though...

hey Flynn, Im in Australia and there are plenty of 99 and 00, 01, 02's around that have been imported over here...did you think I was in england, or have the laws changed here do you know (I have no idea I just know there are a few fresh '02 cars around)..

Hey AlexM - No I havent driven an aero, why do you ask ? are they really bad with the top off? is it flex or wind or what?

decisions decisions hey..

:question:

Hey guys- thanks for the advice...I wasn't even considering the TT upgrade, just figured it would be better to change to a TT.. Now Im beginning to consider that option also

If I did the upgrade I would want the motor, box and diff- anyone know if it all bolts straight up? Ill go aftermarket brakes though...

hey Flynn, Im in Australia and there are plenty of 99 and 00, 01, 02's around that have been imported over here...did you think I was in england, or have the laws changed here do you know (I have no idea I just know there are a few fresh '02 cars around)..

Hey AlexM - No I havent driven an aero, why do you ask ? are they really bad with the top off? is it flex or wind or what?

decisions decisions hey..

:question:

they do flex quite a lot with the roof off, but i love mine, looks even nicer with the roof of than the hardtops, but others will disagree.

the only example of flex i can give you is, if i park on my drive with the roof off, then go to put it on it won't fit. i have to park totally flat on the road too put it on. when driving I can't notice any difference to having the roof on, but I don't have the TT so maybe different in that. :)

You do get wind noise, but it's bearable and somewhat expected. If you drive on rough roads you will get skuttle shake, the whole front of the car/dash vibrates and it's horrible - fine on motorways and nice smooth roads though. You can feel the car flexing when doing spirited driving on the twisties, still grips well but it doesn't feel nice!

I'd just recommend you drive one before buying. :)