The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rattling from front of engine

hoff

Ive just started the supe and heard a lot of rattling from the front of the engine. I popped the bonnet and it was coming from the front of the engine. I couldn't tell exactly where by but it seemed it was coming from near the cam belt rather than from the block. But I cant be sure. I tried it again a few minutes later and there was only a very faint and more sparatic rattle. Again I couldn't pin point where it was coming from exactly.

There is plenty of oil in the car etc. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I dont fancy blowing another engine. Obviously I'll be getting it looked at by a mechanic too.

Have a look to see if it is your crank pully try to move the pully with your hand if you can rock the pully then best get your car on a flatbed and taken to a garage asap - dont run your engine anymore until its fixed....

Mine was loose and it chewed up the woodruff key luckly it was repairable but it almost meant i either spent the money on a bottom end rebuild or a new engine... not worth leaving :)

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)