The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Weight Loss from Heater Matrix

b.weeks

Hi all,

Just thought you might be interested to know that you can save 40lbs (18kg) from removal of the heater matrix, AC, fan and all ducting from a Supra :-) Never seen a weight mentioned for this before but thought I'd weigh all the bits after I took it all out (there's a lot of the stuff behind the dash and goes back further than you might think!).

Cheers,

Ben.

Edited by b.weeks (see edit history)

Yeah, it's heating as well. There's a smaller kit you can get from Demon Tweeks I think so I'm going to install that (in the boot) with piping going to front windscreen.

A smaller heater kit? That would be quite handy, wonder why you can't get a small electric heater type thing for that quick burst of warm air on cold mornings, then you could ditch all pipework.

Nice work matey, I am doing the same to mine this week hopefully :thumbs:

Be prepared for a fair bit of work. I was hoping to do it with taking the crash bar out (that goes across the dash), and had to cut the thing up with a grinder to get out in peices to do so. I also took the sound proofing out between the firewall and cabin while I was at it.

This in preparation for Time Attack next year mate?! ;)

Edited by b.weeks (see edit history)

A smaller heater kit? That would be quite handy, wonder why you can't get a small electric heater type thing for that quick burst of warm air on cold mornings, then you could ditch all pipework.

As someone else has mentioned you can get those too (from Demon Tweeks as well), although I wanted something a little more permanent in case the window steams up going round the track or something :-)

I've heard somewhere before that ditching the matrix on a Supra can lead to premature head gasket failure, though i'm not sure how much truth there is to it.

The only affect I can think of is that the heater matrix effectively acts as a cooler for the water, and that the water is circulated around. I left the pipe working from the top of the engine leading back to the bottom (i.e. not going through all the heater stuff) in case the flow of the water is important.

EDIT: Although I haven't noticed any heat issues since removing it (well, not getting hotter anyway, also had a slight heat issue after a session on track).

I've heard somewhere before that ditching the matrix on a Supra can lead to premature head gasket failure, though i'm not sure how much truth there is to it.

See below...

The only affect I can think of is that the heater matrix effectively acts as a cooler for the water, and that the water is circulated around. I left the pipe working from the top of the engine leading back to the bottom (i.e. not going through all the heater stuff) in case the flow of the water is important.

EDIT: Although I haven't noticed any heat issues since removing it (well, not getting hotter anyway, also had a slight heat issue after a session on track).

I've personally always been of the opinion that matrix does offer some resistance to the water path and as such directly bypassing it would result in a change in the water flow and different heat spots. I've completely removed my matrix/heater system and rejoined the pipes but with a slight restriction to emulate the original matrix.

See below...

I've personally always been of the opinion that matrix does offer some resistance to the water path and as such directly bypassing it would result in a change in the water flow and different heat spots. I've completely removed my matrix/heater system and rejoined the pipes but with a slight restriction to emulate the original matrix.

What did you use to offer the restriction out of interest?

allthough i am very much into weight saving and have now probably got as far as i can get with the purchase of a Greddy titanium exhaust, this would be a step to far for me, if the car is to be used regularly over winter you may struggle, i used to know a guy years ago who rallied a stripped out Lotus Sunbeam and he used to give me a lift now and then to work, it had no heating and he had a crappy electric thing to try to demist the car but it hardly did anything, the car in winter was positively dangerous as you could not see out properly and he used to drive round with the windows down :blink:, good effort though if its for time attack i didn't realise there was that much weight in them

As someone else has mentioned you can get those too (from Demon Tweeks as well), although I wanted something a little more permanent in case the window steams up going round the track or something :-)

Thats where a heated front screen comes into its own, I "might" be getting a batch done soon actually, depending on interest of course.

Does the MOT stipulate the car needs to have a method of de-misting the windscreen? Shouldn't be a problem for folks already on this thread, but I mention it just in case anyone else is thinking of ditching the heater and not replacing it with a different de-misting system.

TooQuickToStop: I don't want to wee on your chips, but my experience of the electric cig lighter heaters is not good: I've only used one, but that hardly put out any heat at all, and was noisy. Maybe it was a cheap 'n' nasty one I had though. Anyone else like to comment..?