The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1st gear turbo

supraspeed

ok i'm get my car back on monday after 6 months of incredibly long-winded and expensive overhaul. no mechanical alterations..yet. anyway i was trying to remember the few niggling problems i had before it went in- one mainly being a single (unknown turbo...on my too do list to find out) so the problem is when i'm in 1st gear, cos of the massive lag, as soon as the turbo kicks in its literally a split second before it hits the redline/limiter. so its all basically n/a through 1st gear. i dont know what kind of bhp this things putting out (i was told 450+ by the seller) but is this normal for a single setup? if anyone feels like identifing my turbo check my garage for (very old) pics. cheers peeps

surley theres hardly no difference between single and n/a to single- the engines are practically identical. to be honest i can't really remember when full boost was- 3rd gear is better than 1st and 2nd hands down- so id prob say 3rd

There are a few fundamental differences between your car and a real single'd Supra but I'm sure you know that.

So at what RPM do you get full boost in each gear?

There are a few fundamental differences between your car and a real single'd Supra but I'm sure you know that.

well no i dont...not really. i'm a bit new to all this. all i know is that it is fuc*ing quick (was catching my dads evo FQ400 on straights) and thats its kitted out with more jap extras than original parts. ive only driven this car 3 weeks in a year of owning it so i can't really elaborate on the boost until i get it back

Looking at the turbo build shouts Turbofit to me. So probably a Xs Power T70 turbo. Never driven an NA-T but all I can say is my TT-T (not the same turbo) makes boost in 1st no problem.

Have you got an AVCR in the car ??

AVCR? ive got some HKS box in the passanger footwell if that helps? lol- is xs power any good?

AVCR? ive got some HKS box in the passanger footwell if that helps? lol- is xs power any good?

The NA-T XS kit is not know to be "good" in any respect. Only one person I know of ever got one to work to any degree.

As mentioned by Gaz, you need to see what boost you are getting and the rpm it's reaching it in the higher gears in order to gauge if something is wrong. A normal single will build a good deal of boost in first, before the rev limiter, but it will hit that limiter very quickly - traction is the normal issue rather than lack of boost!

Are you sure the map is okay? Are AFR and EGT's showing in expected range while it's building and on boost?

yeah, gold and under the carpet- i'm taking to whifbitz soon hopefully to get it all remapped and sorted out- i just dont wanna have to spend shedloads for a while as ive just got the bodywork sorted. it flutters a lot and is extremly loud- x drift car i was told...

Can you post a pic of the car before you got it? There's only a few XS power NA-T's around so it might shed some light on the car and spec.

Ian R, do you know which car this is?

may not be xs power then a turbo fit didn't (to my knowledge) use FCon's . Is it wastegate flutter ??

it sounds like wastegate flutter so i ignored it at first...well i thought it sounded cool so i didn't bother questioning it till the other day when i read on ere it was a bad thing??? got a screamer pipe as well which makes it sound louder...ive been told lol

it sounds like wastegate flutter so i ignored it at first...well i thought it sounded cool so i didn't bother questioning it till the other day when i read on ere it was a bad thing??? got a screamer pipe as well which makes it sound louder...ive been told lol

There's no such thing as wastegate flutter, it's turbo stall.

Can you post a pic of the car before you got it? There's only a few XS power NA-T's around so it might shed some light on the car and spec.

Ian R, do you know which car this is?

this is exactly the same pic when i bought it (except on my drive) straight import and the guy i bought it off hadn't got a clue really of the spec- i dont either

just looked up T70 and if my turbo is this one then i have to say i'm really dissapointed- my thoughts are if these things cost £240, as my cars an x drift car then maybe they do a few drift races and then get a new one as the general view is they fall apart very quickly. i really hope its some other turbo....

1st gear is over very,very quickly in my BL T61 nat, although it does build full boost and open the wastegate at 0.8bar. I seem to remember the turbo's TF used to use on their conversions were the T70's which were not a 70mm compressor but very similar in size to the BL T61, so you should have hardly any lag.

Before you go hooning about you need to make sure that all the supporting work has been done, ie injectors and mapping.

If you want more help you are going to have to put up better pics and more information otherwise its a guessing game which doesnt help anyone ;)