The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help-TT supra 0-60 8seconds!

s3upra

Have a j spec tt-auto,totally standard,feels reasonably quick,but struggles to keep up with even average performance cars(m3s,golf gti etc).its not even that scary in the wet!

0-60 struggles to get under 8 seconds(and yes i am nailing it).Car sounds fine,second turbo comes in on time.

Have had some weird electrical gremlins,spoiler going up and down a few times after car is started,trac flashing when no wheelspin.Warning lights to right of steering wheel dont work(engine code lights).Also have occasionally had what feels like engine dying for split second causing slight juddering,always at low speed(up to 10mph) usually within a mile of setting off.have pulled trac fuse,and feels a bit quicker,but still had judder problem today.Car is standard apart from,jap de-limiter and toad security system and its run on optimax.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I had that problem and my sup also took around 8 secs to get to 60 and found that the 2nd turbo wasnt actually coming on at all! because the two hose's from the pressure tank were connected the wrong way round to the main pressure line, which goes to the IACV and EGCV VSV's...

when did you notice the problem?

it might be a good idea to change your sparkplugs, sounds like the car could be misfiring if its holding back at 10mph

Originally posted by s3upra

Have a j spec tt-auto,totally standard,feels reasonably quick,but struggles to keep up with even average performance cars(m3s,golf gti etc).its not even that scary in the wet!

0-60 struggles to get under 8 seconds(and yes i am nailing it).Car sounds fine,second turbo comes in on time.

Have had some weird electrical gremlins,spoiler going up and down a few times after car is started,trac flashing when no wheelspin.Warning lights to right of steering wheel dont work(engine code lights).Also have occasionally had what feels like engine dying for split second causing slight juddering,always at low speed(up to 10mph) usually within a mile of setting off.have pulled trac fuse,and feels a bit quicker,but still had judder problem today.Car is standard apart from,jap de-limiter and toad security system and its run on optimax.

Any help would be much appreciated.

any joy with the acceleration yet?

Hi s3upra, sounds like a bad earth somewhere. If it was a bad ignition ( spark plugs etc ) it wouldn't cause the senser's and active spoiler to cut in and out. If you want to carry the work out yourself it might be a good idea to find out where all the earthing points are and give the a good clean and soak in wd40. Try it and see how you get on.

I'd recommend posting your problems on the technical thread. The boys and girls on there know there stuff and im sure they'd be willing to help.

ok,fixed warning lights(dry solder joints).Reset ecu.Everything seems to function ok.Still slow though!

slowness has been there since i got the car,about 8 months ago.

Dont know if second turbo is indeed working properly,can hear no1 whistle,but cant hear number 2,car goes a little flat between 3800-4000 revs then picks up again no great surge though,just smooth acceleration(just not enough of it!!)

Thanks for all the help so far.

Ok quick test, disconnect the hose which goes from the IACV VSV to the main pressure line, when you disconnect this hose you should hear it hiss.. if it doesnt then either your pressure tank has gone, or the 2 hoses which i mentioned earlier have been connected back to the main pressure line incorrectly..

if it doesnt hiss try blowing through the hose into the main pressure line, you should not be able to blow any air down the main pressure line if it has been connected correctly.

if it does hiss, then you will need to check your IACV VSV, EGCV VSV, then IACV Actuator and EGCV Actuator, if they are working then you may have a dodgy turbo

• 3 weeks later...

Finally fixed it! Dry solder joints on odo and warning lights were fixed,then problem changed into juddering at low speed(like all power had gone).then heart stopping moment where at 120 it died(thought i was going to).Turned out to be the speed delimiter-an intec one(located in passenger footwell).It looked fine,very well installed,good joints etc.Took it out(will buy best one i can afford soon)and the car ran fine 0-60 in about 5.8(no power breaking,slightly damp road,t/c off on switch).Fuck yeah i finally have a fast car!

Please note all who read this to solve a problem,the following was happening before this was fixed,some of which was very intermittent-

Juddering/loss of power for a split second,usually at low speed(sub 10mph).

0-60 time of 8-9 secs(twin turbo!!!)

warning lights and triangle coming on at will it seemed(check all work when you turn ignition on!)

What felt like engine seize at 120 mph(on speedo).

Trac light flashing,usually after judder episode.

Active spoiler being far too active at standstill!

Hope this helps someone.

Isnt it amazing that the only problem this car has had in nearly ten years is due to an add on(delimiter).Strong case for not messing with perfection! Anyway im off to blow my inheritance on making it faster!!!!!