The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sitting higher after shock and spring change

Chris and Alana

Hi guy's, I have just had my standard black shocks changed for the standard bilsteins and changed the springs for a lower mileage set from a 99 vvti, I also put new dust covers on. When I got the car back it's actually sitting about 20mm or so higher at the rear and about 10mm higher at the front than before, what would cause this? I know shocks dont alter height, the springs were from a set of bilsteins so should be at least the same height (read they should be 10mm lower and stiffer) the only thing I can think of is that with the new dust covers on (I beleive the springs actually sit on them) have caused the increased ride height as the old ones were pretty well squashed. What do you guy's think? The springs are on the right way round as wel. :search:

were the springs off the shocks at all? if they were then the springs might need to bed in a wee bit with the weight of your car if not and this sounds stupid but check if the springs are the rite way up :)

edit just read your post again forget i said about wrong way up springs lol

I did exactly the same conversion, Bilstiens with vvti springs and it too lifted the car up, doesn`t look so good now, does it?!

On the plus side is how it drives, no more tramlineing, soaks up the bumps better, more comfortable.

I have a set of Eibach Pros set here that i was going to fit, don`t think i`ll bother now!

I did exactly the same conversion, Bilstiens with vvti springs and it too lifted the car up, doesn`t look so good now, does it?!

On the plus side is how it drives, no more tramlineing, soaks up the bumps better, more comfortable.

I have a set of Eibach Pros set here that i was going to fit, don`t think i`ll bother now!

Well, thats exactly how I feel after driving it, odd how it lifts the car when its supposed to drop it 10mm or so. It does drive much better, the front doesnt dip half as much with heavy braking and it seems more level in corners even though it is higher. Although anything would feel better than the standard black things I had on as three of them were leaking (one had gone completetly :( )but still, I do feel an improvement.

Does anyone know why it would raise the ride height then?

Do you think putting my old springs back on would bring the lower ride height back even though they are supposed to be 10mm higher? I'm confused :(

Just so I know what Im doing if I cant get it back to the garage anytime soon, are the lower control arm bolts I need to loosen the ones that connect this arm (4th post) http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=85152&highlight=lower+control+arm

Edited by Chris and Alana (see edit history)