The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Absolutely Gutted!!

Havard

Well I have gone through a variety of emotions in the last week but today it has all cumlinated in me being totally pi$$ed off and disappointed..........:(

I had seen the the sale thread on the TRD3000GT Supra and felt that the car was out of my reach.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=157852

As the thread moved on I started taking a real interest as the price began to come down into my range.....:) There were a couple of other interested parties but they had problems getting either insurance or finance etc.

I made a few calls and arranged a garage for the car and also got a good quote from my insurance company. I then pm'd and rang Jon the seller and told him that I was interested on Wednesday night and made my offer but he said he'd had two higher offers and it looked like one guy was going to buy it that night as he was waiting for a phone call. I was ok at that point as I was in a take it or leave it kind of mood.

I then get a phone call last night at 10pm saying that the guy who had made the higher offer had not been in touch and Jon wasn't for being messed about as he was leaving for Australia soon and he wanted to know if I was still interested. I said yes, we were on the phone for an hour and we agreed a fee for the car and I planned to view/collect it next week. I didn't need to view the car as I new it was a bit special from the photos. I offered a big deposit but Jon said that it wasn't necessary as he trusted me. I also asked Jon what would happen if the people with the 1K higher offers do actually get in touch? Jon said that he'd done a deal with me and that he was happy with it.

Last night I went to bed like an excited little child on Christmas eve and I struggled to keep the news to myself .........but I did...:) I wanted to post up the details of my puchase and enjoy the fact that this car had been kept in the club. This morning I got onto the phone to the bank and got some details on a transfer of funds and all was peachy.

Then disaster happens.........:( I get a call from Jon saying that even though we had a deal last night, he got a phone call at 7.30 this morning from a guy offering £2.5K more than me and the bloke wanted to send him the money today.....:blink::( Jon had initially knocked him back as he'd made a deal with me but his missus has given him a load of aggro and told him to take the extra money as it was a substantially higher offer!!

So as things stand now, it looks as though I have fallen in love with this car and someone else has outbid me, even though we had a deal. I feel really sorry for Jon as he has really been forced to accept a higher offer and at the end of the day "money talks" Jon has been really apologetic but it doesn't really cushion the blow. I have refused to up my bid as I am not getting involved in a Dutch Auction. It has made me think though, how much money would make you go back on your word??

To say that I am upset would be a massive understatement!!:(

I don't know what I am going to do now. I want to get a special car but also stay in the club. This is the main reason we decided against a 911 after JAE. I doubt I will get a chance like this again!!

H.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Feel for you Havard, however I must say I am with Jon on this one (Mrs or not). Fair enough a deal is a deal on small things which I have done in the past and stuck to my end even when offered more, however £2.5k is a lot of money (to me it is as I am poor) for someone moving abroad, hell £2.5k is a lot of money anyway.

Long gone (in my eyes) are the days of helping people out to that extent, look after number one, especially when there is a fair bit of money involved.

In saying that though if the deal falled through I would expect you not to buy it out of principle as by the sounds of it you done sod all wrong, the seller has to accept the consequences and risk of not accepting a confirmed deal.

That really sucks Paul but I’m a big believer in that 'things happen for a reason'.. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe the new buyer will pick it up & the engine will drop out within a week :eyebrows: :D

I doubt the engnie will drop out mate (its a mint ball with 7k on the clock..:D) and thanks for making me feel better. The car was something special and even though I am pretty good at getting bargains, there are usually other options available. The fact that there were only 33 of these ever made and that we had a deal makes me think that I have been really unlucky!!:(

Unlucky mate :( You shouldn't go back once a sales agreed, but if nothings been signed or no money had been given, there's nout you can do about it :( Stunning car!

I know!! I really wanted this car to show off at meets, JAE etc and it's something we all could be proud of. I felt a bit of pressure to buy it as so many members were concerned about it being broken or chavved up.....:rolleyes: I would have treated it like my life depended upon it and money would be no object on keeping it mint. I am really anal about my NA, never mind a TRD.

H.

Good on you for taking that so well(or seeming to) as i would be pi55ed off had a deal been done and then i was gazumped!

I know money talks and £2.5k must be hard to refuse but morally i couldnt of gone back on a deal that had been agreed.

Hopefully the end result is you end up in an even better motor....:)

H, I too am gutted for you buddy:(

To be honest but it sounds as if you've been played - you don't know what was going on behind the scenes and the fact that someone has gone back on their word with a 'wife pressure' excuse sounds very suspicious:Pling:

I'll never know what has really gone on. This guy seems ok to me and he was on the phone for ages apologising for the situation. I do feel that it's a bit odd that no one has really wanted this car due to the price and then suddenly a stupid offer comes out of the blue 12 hours after a deal is done. Also, why £2.5K?? Doesn't sound like a good deal to go so high over the nearest bidder, unless you are loaded and 2.5K is peanuts to you!!

Feel for you Havard, however I must say I am with Jon on this one (Mrs or not). Fair enough a deal is a deal on small things which I have done in the past and stuck to my end even when offered more, hoever £2.5k is a lot of money for someone moving abroad, hell £2.5k is a lot of money anyway.

Long gone (in my eyes) are the days of helping people out to that extent, look after number one, especially when there is a fair bit of money involved.

In saying that though if the deal falled through I would expect you not to buy it out of principle as by the sounds of it you done sod all wrong, the seller has to accept the consequences and risk of not accepting a confirmed deal.

I agree with you JM and I see it from his point of view aswell. I am just left frustrated now as my hopes have been raised and then dashed at the last minute. I am a man of principle (it's all I go on about) but on this occasion I would still have the car if he came back to me........:blink::innocent:

H.

Tricky situation for the seller. I think the moral of the story is: "The car isn't yours until you leave a deposit".

It's not like I didn't offer....FFS!!:rolleyes:

I was going to give him 5K up front as it would have taken me a few days to sort out my dads garage and make some room. I didn't want this thing being out in the rain even for one night!!

H.

It's not like I didn't offer....FFS!!:rolleyes:

I was going to give him 5K up front as it would have taken me a few days to sort out my dads garage and make some room. I didn't want this thing being out in the rain even for one night!!

H.

I'm sure I would have been caught out in the same way. Hindsight blah blah...

I guess the correct thing to do would have been to insist on leaving a deposit. Maybe 500 quid though - certainly not 5K. Obviously, this doesn't help you now though :(

a feel for you havard as you would of done this car proud and i hope the new owner will too...

the cars quality is never in question i did try to buy it back myself but i could not raise the money fast enough:(..

lets hope its a member that has bought it..

also if its any consolation jon might not get the deal as there is also a lot of timewasters out there ,so live in hope its a dreamer that offered the 2.5k more.... and has no intentions of completing the deal..

i have many done deals in the past then NO CONTACT once we were ready to purchase on their behalf..

but if anybody deserves a TRD then you do as your dedication and commitiment is there..

hope there is the slight chance for you :)

Edited by Jurgen-Jm-Imports (see edit history)

a feel for you havard as you would of done this car proud and i hope the new owner will too...

the cars quality is never in question i did try to buy it back myself but i could not raise the money fast enough:(..

lets hope its a member that has bought it..

also if its any consolation jon might not get the deal as there is also a lot of timewasters out there ,so live in hope its a dreamer that offered the 2.5k more.... and has no intentions of completing the deal..

i have many done deals in the past then NO CONTACT once we were ready to purchase on their behalf..

but if anybody deserves a TRD then you do as your dedication and commitiment is there..

hope there is the slight chance for you :)

Thanks Jurgen mate,

Jon did say thay you had wanted it back and that says a lot to me about the standard of the car. I wasn't even going to Hpi it.....:D Jon said that he couldn't wait for you, even though you were offering more than I was. If you'd have got it back then I would have been sort of happy with that but losing it like this is tough to take. It's wierd, a couple of weeks ago I didn't give a monkeys......:rolleyes:

We can only hope that it falls through but this Jon guy seems genuine so in some ways I hope he gets what he wants. I don't think that he has played me off against another buyer as he rang me really late last night and went into an incredible amount of detail. He also knew that I wouldn't raise my price!

H.

Edited by Havard (see edit history)

That's a bl**dy shame mate. I was hoping it would stay local. :(

Although given the opportunity to make an extra £2.5k I'd expect most people to do the same...especially if they were off to Aus anyway.

It does kinda make me feel better as it pushed it out of the price range that I felt was acceptable therefore I wouldn't have had the option of buying it myself. ;)