The mkiv Supra Owners Club

upgrade supra, or sell and buy another?

Guest joop

Hey guys,

I've got a dilemma in my mind at the moment, would appreciate some advice....

I recently bought SupraDan's old car... it's a '94 GZ TT J-Spec auto which is currently worth approx 6,500 and is basically stock.

I've bought all the parts to upgrade to BPU, but I'm hesitant to have it installed as I'd like to own a small single somewhere down the track. (I feel selling my car "BPU"d may not increase its value at all - if not lower it)

I'd be willing to spend 12k'ish on a nicely specced 6-speed single... which is 6 grand more than my car is worth.

Obviously I already have a sweet spot for my car (1st supra!) and would love to keep it... but what is 6 grand really gonna get me?

Maybe I'd be happy with BPU+++ type performance, if I could hit 400-450bhp... could anyone give me an idea of what the "+++" is and how much it costs?

Anyway, some advice would be appreciated... I love my current car... but at the end of the day, is it cheaper to upgrade/mod your own car, or buy one already done?

Cheers,

Gareth

PS. I'm not mechanically minded and can't do any work on the car myself :search:

You should be able to hit above the 400 mark with BPU in TTC mode and mapped properly.

You would need an ECU, good condition intercooler, double decat, good free-flowing exhaust and all the other BPU bits that go along with it. No point in going for a single for 450 IMO.

If you want to spend some extra money on the car a nice pair of hybrid turbo's would go down nicely.

The problem now might be getting the 6.5K for the 94 TT Auto, I would take it BPU and keep the stock parts of you sell you give the buyer the option

Yeah, I understand this - but lets ignore it for the purpose of this discussion... I have put put facelift headlights on it and had the paint touched up in a couple of places that needed it, FWIW. But if it's only worth 5k now, then so be it.

Hey guys,

I've got a dilemma in my mind at the moment, would appreciate some advice....

I recently bought SupraDan's old car... it's a '94 GZ TT J-Spec auto which is currently worth approx 6,500 and is basically stock.

I've bought all the parts to upgrade to BPU, but I'm hesitant to have it installed as I'd like to own a small single somewhere down the track. (I feel selling my car "BPU"d may not increase its value at all - if not lower it)

I'd be willing to spend 12k'ish on a nicely specced 6-speed single... which is 6 grand more than my car is worth.

Obviously I already have a sweet spot for my car (1st supra!) and would love to keep it... but what is 6 grand really gonna get me?

Maybe I'd be happy with BPU+++ type performance, if I could hit 400-450bhp... could anyone give me an idea of what the "+++" is and how much it costs?

Anyway, some advice would be appreciated... I love my current car... but at the end of the day, is it cheaper to upgrade/mod your own car, or buy one already done?

Cheers,

Gareth

PS. I'm not mechanically minded and can't do any work on the car myself :search:

Search is your friend. This has been discussed many times.

Basically 450bhp is a big figure to get to without putting in a load of supporting mods and hybrids (currently a discussion on this). If you are going to put in all those supporting mods, you may as well go single.

If you can live without the power, I would take the car to 400ish and leave it at that, with BPU mods.

New hybrids are expensive for what they are and what you get, and IMHO not worth it. A decent single setup is your best option.

But agree with the comment above... 6.5K for a standard TT auto is a BIG ask.

From my experience, if you are already considering a single now then you will for sure regret not doing it later on!

It is much cheaper to buy an already modded car, but it is more satisfying doing it yourself so it turns out just like you wanted.

Forget about the hybrids, money out the window! I don't think that You'll be satisfied for long and will end up going single in the end.

Save yourself some money and go single right away, and nothing smaller than 67 :-)

A decent single setup is your best option.

But agree with the comment above... 6.5K for a standard TT auto is a BIG ask.

So I guess the real answer to my question, is sell the car and buy the fully specced single for 12k. Seems I can't upgrade to a good single setup for 6-7k. Agree?

It is much cheaper to buy an already modded car, but it is more satisfying doing it yourself so it turns out just like you wanted.

I thought that might be the case... and I have plenty of time - some real bargains pop up if you have the patience.

Cheers.

Tbh, you could go single for about 5-6K, no frills, decent quality parts and make do's, not sure about that autobox and what is needed for that though

If you buy a 12K single from Japan, that is pretty much all your going to get too, Japanese single conversions are generally the absolute minimum, nothing wrong with that its still the same result or thereabouts, you just dont get the same feeling when lifting up the bonnet, and you can't be sure of how that car has been run on that single

Its very difficult to get your required spec too, they all come in varied turbo sizes and mods

I think I've came to the conclusion there is no 'proper single', there is a single that works and one that doesn't its a minefield - not even an open cheque book can guarantee you results, if your not mechanically minded and on a budget, I probably wouldnt bother with going single, every little problem will seem mega bucks to fix and your open to getting shafted from every trader you go to

Any money on these cars is money lost, it really just depends on much money you want to throw away - a single supra demands lots!:(

Seriously, if you go bpu you would honestly be far cheaper hiring out a Ferrari for the days you feel that its not enough;)

From my experience, if you are already considering a single now then you will for sure regret not doing it later on!

Forget about the hybrids, money out the window! I don't think that You'll be satisfied for long and will end up going single in the end.

Save yourself some money and go single right away, and nothing smaller than 67 :-)

I get what KDW is saying here, but at the end of the day you have to draw the line somewhere, I'm not satisfied driving a supra - I want a Veyron but I have no intention of aiming for one, it would only take me about 40Years to save for it, so I'll make do...just:d

Edited by bolarbag (see edit history)

If you buy a 12K single from Japan, that is pretty much all your going to get too, Japanese single conversions are generally the absolute minimum, nothing wrong with that its still the same result or thereabouts, you just dont get the same feeling when lifting up the bonnet, and you can't be sure of how that car has been run on that single

Its very difficult to get your required spec too, they all come in varied turbo sizes and mods

I totally agree with the above. but you can find a proper spec'd single and make a good deal if you know what you are looking for.

I think I've came to the conclusion there is no 'proper single', there is a single that works and one that doesn't its a minefield - not even an open cheque book can guarantee you results, if your not mechanically minded and on a budget, I probably wouldnt bother with going single, every little problem will seem mega bucks to fix and your open to getting shafted from every trader you go to

I do not agree with the above.. You can built a rock solid Single, it just takes a little finesse and know-how.

I get what KDW is saying here, but at the end of the day you have to draw the line somewhere, I'm not satisfied driving a supra - I want a Veyron but I have no intention of aiming for one, it would only take me about 40Years to save for it, so I'll make do...just:d

But Veyron's are so slow.. :D

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for all your input here - certainly food for thought.

Think I am gonna go with my BPU mods and get the most from the the TT... the hassle of selling my current car, in todays market, coupled with the fact that I don't really wanna spend more than 12k all-in (whichever route I choose to go, if that makes sense) - means I should prolly just stick with my current car :)

Cheers!