The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how close is too close?

supraspeed

Ok, ive put new set of wheels on my car... but there is only about a 3/4mm gap between the spokes and the calipers- i think the brakes are upgraded UK spec ones as they are massive but until i get them looked at i'm not sure. anyway i was talking to the guy whos sorting out my bodywork and he said it might be worth skimming the discs a few mm. just want to know if there would be any problems with this tightness/distance as i dont want to damage anything and is it worth skimming them?

well, i'm not mechnically minded but i assumed thinner discs = calipers were pressed/adjusted closer in? i dont know why he suggested it otherwise lol?

Calipers are assembled into one piece. It's the pistons that move. So if you skim discs the pistons would have to move out further to grip the caliper.

That would mean more force trying to drag the piston out of the caliper and reduced efficiency.

As long as your wheel turns and there is clearance you're gonna be ok. :)

If its not touching nothing should really happen, I know alot of cars that have calipers that just miss the spokes and they are fine.

You could shave a little off the calipers if you want, alot of americans do it because the ccw classics alot of the owners use need a 4mm spacer, but some dont use the spacer and shave the calipers.

do a search on supraforums.com for ccw classic and the last few pages i think tell you about it.

Most heat is generated in the disc. If it was to transfer enough through the pads and into the piston enough to make a caliper expand 3/4 of a mm :blink:

I think the seals would melt, fluid pour out, ignite and burn the tyre off causing steering difficulty first. :D

Seriously though, I think it would take a lot more heat than that to make a lump the size of a caliper expand by that much. :)

Most heat is generated in the disc. If it was to transfer enough through the pads and into the piston enough to make a caliper expand 3/4 of a mm :blink:

Glad i'm not the only one that found that funny. I reckon the caliper would melt before expanding anywhere near that much (0.75mm)

I think the seals would melt, fluid pour out, ignite and burn the tyre off causing steering difficulty first. :D

Seriously though, I think it would take a lot more heat than that to make a lump the size of a caliper expand by that much. :)

:rlol: at description :D

Bang on mate.

3 to 4 mm is OK IF the wheels are decent, cheap ones can deform in hard cornering, and the wheel bearings are spot on. You'll soon see if they are rubbing anyway. You could mill or turn a bit off the outside of the disc hub face, but I wouldn't, there's not a huge amount of meat there, and when you think about it properly, it'll bring the rim even CLOSER to the caliper :)