The mkiv Supra Owners Club

oil cooler needed?

bodilx6

During a dash to and from The Ring, i noticed my oil temperature rising towards 125-130c when sustaining 140-150mph on the autobahn. As far as I know I should make sure the oil doesnt go beyond 130c (mobil1 5-30)

Normal highway driving at 60-90mph shows 100-110c which I think is normal considering my sensor is @ the filter.

Mines a Jspec.Does that differ frem the EU model regarding oil cooler or do they both lack one?

If I add an oil cooler, will getting the oil to operating temperature take longer that without one?

Will I risk the oil never getting to operating temperature?

you can get them with a thermostatic bypass, thsi is the best bet.

Mine can hit 110-117 on hot tracks and I chicken out and let it cool, was thinking of buying a bigger cooler.

I was told by opie to not let it go above that.. as the molecules unwind and lubrication is compromised. 130 is very high!!

During a dash to and from The Ring, i noticed my oil temperature rising towards 125-130c when sustaining 140-150mph on the autobahn. As far as I know I should make sure the oil doesnt go beyond 130c (mobil1 5-30)

Normal highway driving at 60-90mph shows 100-110c which I think is normal considering my sensor is @ the filter.

Mines a Jspec.Does that differ frem the EU model regarding oil cooler or do they both lack one?

There is a water jacket type cooler on both models

If I add an oil cooler, will getting the oil to operating temperature take longer that without one?

Only very slightly, as even with a thermostatic plate,a small amount of oil will circulate though the cooler all the time,

Will I risk the oil never getting to operating temperature?

No as this is governed by the temp setting of the thermostatic take off plate, usually 80-90c