The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Decided I want a supra!

Guest jonesy

Hi there, ive now decided after ages of wanting a supra, to do it!

I've currently got a engine modified car (300bhp,360lb torque) but its fwd.. not ideal and im bored with it.

Im unsure on a few things - colour - which you lot can't decide, and things like model.

The main things im after are:

the newest shape/newest age supra I can get, thats 1998 isnt it? it would need to be 6sp manual, and not an import(is that even possible)?

Any ideas how much i'd be looking at for something like that? Low to medium miles, ie i dont want one with 100k miles.

As for modifications, bpu or standard, or modified but looked after. I've just got no idea on price range?

Im thinking possibly spending upto £10,000 for the time being.

Any suggestions please, any companies to look at for these, or am i best sticking to this site,ebay,pistonheads etc?

Thanks for the help

The main things im after are:

the newest shape/newest age supra I can get, thats 1998 isnt it? it would need to be 6sp manual, and not an import(is that even possible)?

Any ideas how much i'd be looking at for something like that? Low to medium miles, ie i dont want one with 100k miles.

As Konio says, UK cars were 93-96 only, so if you're after a facelift model it'll be an import.

And at 100k miles a Supra is only just getting going :) I wouldn't believe all import figures of "only 40000 miles", I'd go by the condition of the car. I saw one over-priced TT when I was looking that claimed to have only 45000 miles on it, but the interior was so tired it must have been at least double that.

Good luck with the search :)

So, you want a '96 UK Spec, manual, and low milage?

Could you pick me out some lottery numbers for the weekend, I've a feeling you might have better luck, but who knows :)

:D

If you want to hold out for a UK go for it but J specs are just as good really. The vast majority of people on here have J specs. Also dont under estimate the autobox either. If you can, take a manual and auto for a test drive.

A j spec is highly tunable as well as the U. As you've said insurance is higher on imports but get some quotes 1st.

If you do fancy an import try Jurgen or whifbitz as they will scource you one. Or check out the for sale section. There are some very good ones up for sale at the moment, such as Pabs.

Good luck:)

What car have you got at the mo? :)

I was dead set on a UK spec when I was looking for a Supra as I think most people are, but as Thorin suggested, pretty hard to find. I ended up getting a nice facelift TT6, very happy with my choice! Insurance is cheaper on the UK spec but not by a massive amount I found.

I'd stick with ones for sale on this site or by traders on here (JM Imports, Whifbitz...), I bought mine from a club member (who bought it from someone on here as well) it's good for piece of mind if nothing else. £10k should buy you a very nice clean Supra, good luck!

Oh and don't start modding it, it's a slippery slope :taped: :D

cheers for the info so far guys, much appreciated,

going to do a few insurance quotes to check the different in prices between uk spec and j spec.

my current car - vaux astra coupe turbo, dropped a newer engine in when it went bang, mods inc: Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

engine work standard.

i may try and get a test drive in both, but dont know anyone with a supra which makes it harder unless i can find a nice garage selling one.

whats the commonest colour/rarest colours in supras then?

The larger brakes were optional so a j-spec may not have the smaller ones. The general agreement is that BHP is around the same.

In my opinion the UK spec is a better car, leather interior ect / turbo bonnet and bigger brakes all as standard make it a better buy, just harder to get hold of and at a premium.

A decent UK model will be/is a collectible

whats the commonest colour/rarest colours in supras then?

common - silver or black

rare - Green :D

get a test drive in several, i.e. a UK (if you can find one), a JSpec one and try both manual and auto, you'd be surprised.

And try to get both BPU and std so you can see the difference and whether you want to go down that road. If you do it's cheaper to find one that's already BPU, but it may not have the rest of the spec you're after.

Silver is the commonest, MSB, Grey & Quicksilver are rare. Many jspecs have uk spec brakes from new, leather, 17in rims active spoiler, folding mirrors & bhp IS the same, however you will get things such as, bigger fuel tank, glass headlights, outside temp guage, bonnet intake,different colour leather, heated seats

Posted via Mobile Device

having had j-spec and uk TTs (both stock), there is no real difference in performance but a big pain with imports is getting toyota to give you any parts! also the UKs run on 95 ron and the j-spec are meant to be on at least 98 ron if i remember right. but all are fantastic cars to look at and drive everyday - esp autos! just a shame i had to sell mine. :(