The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A paint question?

Silver Fox

I would probably give a miss with the paint stripper....cant you just rub it back so its nice and flat....not too corse a paper though, finish off with a 1200 wet and dry...prep is 90% of the work.

Flat and flash if your really fussy.

Use 800 grit (gets it down faster) before your next paint job is applied. Then if the new paint jobs look is not nice/flat enough for you use 1200 then 1500 grit. Keep a bucket of clean water with you to keep washing and wetting the grit paper. Then once you are happy with the finish cut it back with G3 or even good old Tcut but beware the shine could be a distraction to your driving

Regards

Nik

Just confirming your saying to use t-cut on the dash? i havent herd of that before.

He right...some people go as far as 2000 wet on the final finish then cut and polish...depends on how fussy you are on the finish and how good the sprayer is at spraying.

This is to remove the orange peel effect or imperfections in the paint sometimes left after spraying.

Good luck...if you look in my garage you can see the aerotop supe, i did the dash on that with a spray can and plenty of elbow grease;)

He right...some people go as far as 2000 wet on the final finish then cut and polish...depends on how fussy you are on the finish and how good the sprayer is at spraying.

This is to remove the orange peel effect or imperfections in the paint sometimes left after spraying.

Good luck...if you look in my garage you can see the aerotop supe, i did the dash on that with a spray can and plenty of elbow grease;)

I know what i am going to be doing for the next few days lol

Just confirming your saying to use t-cut on the dash? i havent herd of that before.

Probably because you aint painted it before. Think of it as a panel on ya car and not the dash it was. I stress was. I am of course presuming you are going to get a regular can of car panel spray from say Halfords and not a tin of emulsion from Homebase.

I have to say I only sprayed mine then put a coat of laquer on and this was absolutely perfect. I does depend on your spraying skill and as one member commented Preperation Preperation and then Preperation. All very important for that final finish.

Edited by nikbiomed (see edit history)