The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NOS lovers....now is your time to show off...

jackso11

Hey everyone.

I have just gone and bought myself a second hand wisards of nos setup and will be tackling the install project either this weekend or next. What I am wondering is where is the best location for the bottle of NoS?

I have got myself a 10lbs tank to mount somewhere, is that the standard size? I think it is bigger than the norm as I have seen a few setups in other cars with 5lbs tanks.

Also, am I fine painting the tank with standard 2pac spray paint and clear coat? got a lovely black paint I sprayed a bike with a while back...matching my car well :D

Any other photos of setups will be much apreciated too such as pipe paths and solenoid locations.

:D

Just reading through the manual and found this lot....did everyone do all of theses items??

Do replace the existing distributor cap and rotor arm if applicable.

Do have your fuel system tested to make sure wanted power can be supported.

Do replace the existing spark plugs with one grade colder (harder).*

Do fit a set of quality plug wires (leads) if applicable.

Do fit a high capacity fuel pump.**

Do have your engine compression checked with a leakage tester (not a compression

gauge). 6% is just acceptable, but no cylinder should exceed a 10% leakage.

Do fit a high performance ignition coil and ignition system if applicable.**

Do retard your ignition timing 2 degrees for every 50 bhp.**

Do check torque settings of head bolts.

Do use only top quality oil. **

Do use high octane fuel (petrol) and even higher octane for power increases over 50%.**

Do purge the nitrous system at night or when the vehicle is left unattended.

Do fit an Ignition Delay Unit (IDU) or an ignition kill switch to prevent the possibility of

backfires that may be caused when starting an engine with a static nitrous charge in the

cylinders.

JAckso11, all of the things listed are a very good idea to ensure you give yourself the most reliable set up (and dont blow your engine), none of them will prevent the NOS system working but it would be a risk to try

I would say NOS has a bad reputation BECAUSE owners dont give the attention to the above detail before fitting

Thanks tooquicktostop, guess it will be a little more work that expected.

I am just looking at purge systems to add on. I understand they clear out the NOS in the pipes before starting the engine and using the NOS. Does it also clean out the engine to prevent NOS being there during ignition?

A system like this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZEX-6-AN-NITROUS-OXIDE-HIGH-VOLUME-PURGE-KIT-NOS-82315_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1121Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem140262877197QQitemZ140262877197

Also...does anyone have a link to the fitted systems on THOR....I have been looking for 20 minuts and just keep finding supras on ramps and no real install pics.

You will find most insurance companies will not insure NOS on a car, this is an issue, I have a NOS system and it may be ONE of the reasons I lost my last engine, some other things to think about before fitting

Its not like the Fast and the Furious it does not actually last very long unless you carry several bottles of the stuff

Its quite expensive to fill the bottles

Used at spool a big turbo it can aid turbo lag

Used on a tired engine it can really show off any weak area and you could loose the engine

Purge just clears the lines

NOS has a cleaning effect on the engine head

DO you have it on a switch to arm it and then a button for on off....or is it just switch for on and off?

I have a switch to arm it and I open the bottle valve by hand, then the AEM controls the flow, I had mine mapped to run up to 0.8 bar boost then once the turbo was spooled up it shut down, that was the plan anyway

Right now I have the system installed on the new engine but have not had it mapped in yet

You will find most insurance companies will not insure NOS on a car, this is an issue, I have a NOS system and it may be ONE of the reasons I lost my last engine, some other things to think about before fitting

Its not like the Fast and the Furious it does not actually last very long unless you carry several bottles of the stuff

Its quite expensive to fill the bottles

Used at spool a big turbo it can aid turbo lag

Used on a tired engine it can really show off any weak area and you could loose the engine

Purge just clears the lines

NOS has a cleaning effect on the engine head

im really quite interested in finding out more. would you say its worth maybe fitting one for track/drag strip days?

Am I right in saying the N/A engine is more up to it than the TT. From what I have found the N/A is totally fine with NOS but people with TT's seem to have problems. Or is this simply due to the fact that people may have modded the TT engine in the past and weakened it....where as the N/A doesn't really have that much room for mods.

As for the shot, I am going to start at 50 and then move up to 100. I have read that from a 100 you only really get between 60 and 80 hp anyway.

Am I right in saying the N/A engine is more up to it than the TT. From what I have found the N/A is totally fine with NOS but people with TT's seem to have problems. Or is this simply due to the fact that people may have modded the TT engine in the past and weakened it....where as the N/A doesn't really have that much room for mods.

No you are totally wrong!

The TT will be much more up to it than the N/A. I don't know where you got that information because it's rubbish.

TT has way more stout internals, the ge will blow up long before the gte.