The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nothing like a good paint job..

AlexM

Some of you have seen this car, most likely before I found all it's little niggles (and the fact it's somewhat unsafe to drive).

Looks reasonable enough, this is as I bought it.

Took the rear right spat off, found a little nastyness (what on earth are they for!)

Took the rear left spat off..

Oh wonderful.

I think the car has been sprayed with the left spat on, and the right spat off.. for a nice even finish.

Car as it stands now (Driveway ornament)

I'll get some pictures up of the fitting of the skirts and the bottom of the doors later on, they're just as nicely finished.. :D

Did they wash it before they sprayed it ?

If that's a serious question - how would I tell?

If not, probably not. Going by the state of the bodykit fitting I doubt any prep work was done at all. :p

who worked on the car?

This was done before I bought it. I'm just finding problems / issues as I learn what to look for (and pull bits off).

Edited by AlexM (see edit history)

Check for accident damage on the left rear as it's been painted, the right rear looks stock paint (though might have had some other spat badly fitted in the past)

Either way, check for accident damage, might be worth taking the rear bumper off for a proper look.

Check for accident damage on the left rear as it's been painted, the right rear looks stock paint (though might have had some other spat badly fitted in the past)

Either way, check for accident damage, might be worth taking the rear bumper off for a proper look.

The Supra wasn't available in Pearl White was it? The colour matches all over so unless it's matched to faded paint it's had a full respray. I actually have to remove overspray from the front lights when I rubbed them down, and theres flaking paint at the edge of the window rubbers on the doors.

I'm not sure what to look for with regards to accident damage.. :blink:

Heh bud looks like you got some work to do there, unless you plan to do the same and cover the issues up. Don't forget I can have a go at that aerotop lid if you want to. If you want to get the paint thats fine with me I can put it on for ya. What are u going to do about that pearl white though, could be another complete respray!!!

Regards

Nick (Brakes)

Heh bud looks like you got some work to do there, unless you plan to do the same and cover the issues up. Don't forget I can have a go at that aerotop lid if you want to. If you want to get the paint thats fine with me I can put it on for ya. What are u going to do about that pearl white though, could be another complete respray!!!

Regards

Nick

Short term it'll be a case of 'stop the rust, fill the holes, cover it up', long term.. depends what state the car is in after sprint series & track days. :eyebrows: I don't really see the point in getting it nicely resprayed if I'm going to throw it into a wall somewhere a week later.

I'm curious and worried as to why the previous owner had it resprayed, what could be hiding under there..

Not forgotten about your offer regarding my lid, but it's a low priority at the moment. :)

Short term it'll be a case of 'stop the rust, fill the holes, cover it up', long term.. depends what state the car is in after sprint series & track days. :eyebrows: I don't really see the point in getting it nicely resprayed if I'm going to throw it into a wall somewhere a week later.

I'm curious and worried as to why the previous owner had it resprayed, what could be hiding under there..

Not forgotten about your offer regarding my lid, but it's a low priority at the moment. :)

Just make sure it is not too damaged as taking it up the track may just be the end of it or you for that matter.

Was hoping to meet up with you guys at the Steak Meet on Saturday but the rain just would not stop and I dont drive me supe in the rain.

Anyway take care bud see you around.

oouch! Sympathise with you. When the spats were off mine for a respray, one of them (VS btw) hid a large dent. Anyway, you'd be bored without anything to do on it! :p

I have a list of things to do to it as long as my leg, before finding problems! :p

Turns out I could have had a spot in a VIP box for the Superbikes on Sunday, but work 'didn't realise' I was interested in motorsport. :(

Just make sure it is not too damaged as taking it up the track may just be the end of it or you for that matter.

Was hoping to meet up with you guys at the Steak Meet on Saturday but the rain just would not stop and I dont drive me supe in the rain.

Anyway take care bud see you around.

Once it's mobile it'll be paying a visit to Silverstone Garage or Chris Wilson, I'll have it looked over before getting anything else done to it. I hope it's mainly just cosmetics but we'll see.

It's a pity you didn't come to the steak meet, the food was fantastic! The weather was naf and the drive was.. interesting, but well worth it. Have you ever tried wet weather driving in your car?

In continuation of the original topic..

Top of the doors:

Rubbers/windows were obviously removed for a proper job. ;)

Offside skirt off:

Not too bad, but the drivers side..

Old bit of damage covered up by the skirt, great. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what to do about the rivets that are still in the door sills, is there a way of getting them out if I poke them through? I don't really want them rattling around.

oh bloody hell

drill the rivets and they should fall out

I've taken the tops off and removed the skirts, but the bottom of the rivets will fall into the sills - I can't see how I'd get them out from there?

What do you exspect from a car that old? original paint and no damage..LOL

I'm sorry, do you think yourself funny? I have a 15 year old aerotop on my drive with the original paint, no rust, and no damage. ;)

This car is only in a state because it's been heavily bodged by the previous owner, it's a great highlight of what NOT to do. Bad paint job, unrepaired damage, and poorly fitted bodykit.

Not funny just realistic. even new cars have paintwork done (damaged in transit) OK so it was blown over but the rust on the sills and the like are common on a car thats been in this climate for a few years without care.

Have you looked at the pictures?

It's been sprayed without being properly prepared, with the lights, windows, seals still on the car, and possibly the bodykit too. The sill has a big dent in it, which is why it's rusty - it hasn't been fixed. The skirts were riveted on, loosely, so the skirts have scratched small areas of paintwork off and there's more rust as a result. Also as a result of the riveted skirts the bottom and inside lip of doors are rusty, since it's taken the paint off of the bottom.

I don't think anyone here would expect a car to be this poorly cared for (except you, seemingly).

I think Dave has a point, the damage on it isn't that bad compared to many I've seen. It seems only to have had skirts and spats fitted to cover some minor damage, then a badly prepped paint job. It's not unusual on a car that hasn't have the best care.

It's pretty minor stuff IMO if it's had a quick kit and paint to cover over a rough body.

I think Dave has a point

A point he might have, but well presented it is not. I never said I expected anything, so I don't see what I've said to deserve a sarcastic comment like the above (followed by 'you bought it, not me'?).

I'm posting up the problems I'm finding with the bodywork on the car (as a topic of discussion if nothing else). I find it interesting what's hidden away under that bodykit and am also learning what to look for when buying a future car from it, I thought other people might too - we're not all older multi-car buyers with an educated eye.

the damage on it isn't that bad compared to many I've seen. It seems only to have had skirts and spats fitted to cover some minor damage, then a badly prepped paint job. It's not unusual on a car that hasn't have the best care.

It's pretty minor stuff IMO if it's had a quick kit and paint to cover over a rough body.

It's still damage that should have been highlighted when the car was sold surely? It was enough to make me withdraw the car from sale (well, that and the brake problem) as I just couldn't sell it like that.

Ok calm down, I was not being sarcastic I was pointing out that old cars have to have work. If you start delving you find problems. If I took my newly purchased NA apart I would find loads that is not right but thats what these cars are about. Did you pay top money for it? if not do the work and make it right.

I'm all for helping members with paint issues and the like NOT taking the piss!!

I think you have me all wrong mate

Dave ;-)

Edited by SUPRALOOPY (see edit history)

Ok calm down, I was not being sarcastic I was pointing out that old cars have to have work. If you start delving you find problems. If I took my newly purchased NA apart I would find loads that is not right but thats what these cars are about. Did you pay top money for it? if not do the work and make it right.

I'm all for helping members with paint issues and the like NOT taking the piss!!

I think you have me all wrong mate

Dave ;-)

Sorry Dave, but no matter how I read your first post I can't see it as anything other than Sarcastic. I'd usually ignore it rather than let it annoy me, but everyone has their moments. :p

I paid about £3k for it at the start of the year, which is probably about right for what it is. I know very little about caring for and repairing bodywork and mostly have picked up on the mechanical side so far - so any pointers on rectifying the above is welcomed. :) This car will be going on the track though and cost is an issue, I cannot afford to throw it into a bodyshop (yet) - fixing the problems is the first priority, looks/finish are second.